chapter 4

All to quickly we pull up to the house, as soon as I get out of the car I can see the gang in the window, as well as Darry pacing. Two Bit gives me a shit eating grin as he throws the door open, announcing his entrance as he enters. Steve follows behind him, throwing a glare at me from over his shoulders. And so, it was finally my turn to walk through the door. The moment I do, Soda grabs him in a hug.

"Glory Pone, where ya been huh?" He says into my hair. Darry comes up behind him awkwardly "Ponyboy" he says softly. He looks stressed, His normally neat hair sticking out every which way, as if he'd been pulling at it. His eyes red rimmed and puffy with dark bags. Before I get a chance to say anything in response, Dally, who had been sat on the couch with johnny glaring at me, stood up and grabbed my arm.

"You and I need to have a chat kid" he tells me, dragging me towards Soda and I's room, slamming the door behind him. "What the hell is this I've been hearing about you pulling up to school with some Socs?" he questions

"I don't know what you're talking about" I say, ripping my arm out of his hold and crossing them over my chest. he gives me an unimpressed look. leaning against the door and pulling out a cig. 

" Don't go being all goody goody with them socs you hear? what would Johnny think? you remember what socs did to him don't ya." That made me mad. He doesn't get to tell me who to and who not to hang out with. before I can, stop myself, I roll my eyes at him.

"Respectfully Dallas, you nor Johnny get to decide who I can hang out with" I tell him, which, of course earns me a glare. He scoffs and walks out of the room. A couple minutes later, Darry comes into the room and sits on the edge of the bed.

"Why are you so hard on me Darry? Why can't I do anything right?" I ask, after a few minutes of silence. Darry sighed and looked away for a moment, after a few seconds, he finally spoke.

"Look Ponyboy, I love you, I need to you to know that." he starts. "I just want you to be successful in areas I wasn't able to be. I know that I'm pushing my dream onto you, and I know that I shouldn't." He takes a deep breath before continuing. I know I need to lay off some, It's just hard, but I'm trying okay?"

Tears begin to well up in my eyes listening to his speech, I know he's still upset that his whole future got destroyed in a matter of seconds. I guess I can see where the motives behind his strict behavior. He notices my tears and reaches out to put his hand on my shoulder with a half smile. I grab him arm and pull him into a hug, bursting into tears in his shoulder. He wraps his arms around me tightly, holding me until I eventually tire myself out and fall asleep.