chapter one

Five A.M. Thursday, august 1st 1971

The sun was slowly creeping above the mountains, ridding the ground of some shadows. The dew on the grass shining, the crisp smell of the early morning only there to those who pay attention to it. Everyone was sleeping.

Well, everyone except Y/n Evans.

She was sitting on a branch of a willow tree drawing everything below her.

The sun, the way it hit the grass, the way it was reflected in the frog pond next to the house, the shadows beside the house and trees.

It was calm, it was an escape, there was no lily telling her how much of a freak she was with her hair, there was no petunia trying to use her as her own personal mannequin. There was no petunia telling Lily that she was a freak just cuz she made a flower bloom.

It was silent.

Until lily came out.

"Y/N! Get down!!"

"Why!"

"Help mummy with breakfast!"

"Why can't you?"

"Cuz i don't want to, now get down!"

Jumping down from her spot and the branch y/n walked around Lily's glaring eyes and straight into the kitchen.

"Morning mum. Want me to make the eggs?"

"Could you? I'll make the pancakes."

~~~

After breakfast she went out to the porch swing to read. A little way through the chapter a stern looking lady walked up to her.

"Are you lily evans?"

"No, she's my sister. Why?"

"Could I speak to her and your parents?"

"Why?"

"Miss Evans, could you go get your mother?"

Looking at her sceptically, "She's at work."

"Your father?"

"What's your name?"

"Minerva McGonagall, now may I please speak to your father?"

"Why?"

Huffing, Minerva walked around y/n and straight to the door and pressed the doorbell.

Mrs. Evans opened it.

"I thought you said she was at work."

"I lied." y/n said, shrugging.

"Er, hello, I don't believe I know you."

"I am Minerva Mcgonagall. I am here to speak to you and your family."

"Oh sure, come in. y/n could you go get your sisters?"

"Yeah."

She was on the way to the field they were in when Petunia came running back dragging Lily by the arm.

"Petunia what happened?"

"That freak boy she hangs out with made a branch fall on me."

"He said it wasn't him!"

"Oh shut up lily. I saw you lot the other day, he was being rude to petunia!"

"What would you know, you're just a freak who can't mind her own business!"

Walking back to the house y/n was trying with all she had to keep her hair from changing to red or silver.

She failed. It had turned dark red.

"y/n, your hair again." petunia pointed out kindly.

"Oh sorry."

"Turn it back." lily snarkily.

"I'm trying. You're not helping lily."

"It's not my fault that you're a freak. The least you could do is try and control it"

At this point y/n's hair was vibrant red.

When they got back to the house her hair was still red.

"y/n fix your hair before she sees it." her mum said warningley

"Before who sees it?" Petunia spoke up.

She was ignored.

Trying harder y/n got her hair back to h/c.

They walked into the living room to see the lady holding a cup of tea.

"Hello. Which one of you is Lily evans?"

"I am. Why?" Lily said while sitting down next to their father.

"You have been accepted into a school." she said, not giving much context.

"I don't remember applying for another school"

"You have been down ever since you were born."

"What school?"

"Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. You will be under the care of the best headmaster Hogwarts has had and you will learn the necessary classes to make it in the wizarding world. If, of course, you accept. Although Hogwarts has never been turned down yet."

Everyone's eyes were wide.

Remember the first words spoken, they're important... (backs into shadows smiling and cackling evilly)