Day 17, 5th Day of the Month of Hunting

The next day I awoke bright and early, getting up from my bed and quickly pulling on my uniform, slipping downstairs quietly. The innkeeper was just preparing breakfast when I arrived, and as I showed up at the bar, she simply slid me a plate of sausage and eggs, which I grabbed and brought to the back table, shovelling it into my mouth. I finished as fast as I could and placed the plate back on the bar, before setting out. The sun was just rising, and I set off towards the blacksmith's shop, reaching it as the sun finished rising above the horizon, quietly opening the door and slipping inside. Inside, it was fairly dark, so I grabbed a lantern from last night's dinner table, turning it on low. I snuck upstairs, entering into a small living room. I realised that this must normally be where they lived, rather than the shop downstairs. I walked over to a door with a flower on it, assuming it to be Alexandra's room. I slowly opened the door, illuminating the room. Alexandra lay asleep in her bed, covered in a thick woollen blankets. I walked over to her and shook, her awake, making her groggily open her eyes before she shot awake.

"What the... who are you?" she demanded, sitting bolt upright in bed, pulling the blankets up to cover herself.

"Relax, it's just me." I said, and she slowly relaxed.

"Collin... What are you doing in my room?" she asked, pulling the blankets even higher as she spoke.

"It's morning. I was going to give you some swordplay practice before your grandfather woke up." I explained, backing up a bit.

"Fine." She said, rubbing her eyes groggily. "Get out of my room and let me get changed."

I obliged, walking back out of her room and sitting on an old sofa in their living room. A few minutes later, Alexandra walked out of the room, wearing a tight fitting shirt and baggy pants, tucked into knee high leather boots. Her hair was pulled up into a ponytail, tied with a gold-coloured ribbon.

"Well?" she asked, as I got up from the sofa. "Let's go."

I followed her downstairs, but instead of grabbing a sword, she went over to the table and sat down, pulling a loaf of bread from the bread box, slicing off two pieces before setting them down on a plate, munching on them quickly. Finally, she had finished her breakfast, and got up, grabbing a broadsword out of one of the barrels around the shop. She headed outside, but I smirked, grabbing a few smaller, quicker swords. Once I had a good assortment, I followed her outside. We walked down to behind the house, where a flat meadow sat as she turned to face me, pulling up the heavy broadsword with surprising ease. I dropped the rest of the swords beside me and pulled out my own. I adapted my fencing pose, pulling off my cloak for mobility.

"Any time you're ready." I said, and Alexandra lunged forward. She cleaved the heavy broadsword down at my head, and I deflected it. Normally, that could have broken my defence, but I felt that Alexandra, while strong for a girl, lacked the immense strength required to effectively use a broadsword. Her blade ricocheted off my sword, and she quickly recovered, swinging the heavy sword at my side. I jumped backwards, and her sword swung past, burying itself in the ground. I lunged forward, swinging my own sword down at the handle of her sword, sending it skittering out of her hand. I pushed forward, grabbing her shoulder and placing my blade at her throat, making her pause, and the deadly blade resting against her soft flesh.

"Let's try you with a different blade." I said, as I let go of her, pulling my sword away. "I know that this broadsword has a lot of appeal, but you're too weak and too fast to wield it. You need a lighter, more agile sword to do damage."

I picked up a lightweight, French-looking sword and handed it to her. "Let's see you take a swing at me with that one."

I backed up, and adopted my duelling pose. She copied me, and I began the bout. She lunged forward, stabbing directly at me. I swiped her sword away, and she recovered, spinning around and swiping at my side, which I blocked. She sent a fast uppercut which I dodged, followed by parrying away a vicious overhand, until I went on the offensive. I swept forward at her head, which she blocked. I spun back around and went for a stab, which she sent spinning away, which I turned into a side cut, which she blocked. I slid my sword up hers, locking our hilts. Then, I twisted, catching the hilts of her sword on my and wrenched the sword out of her hand, leaving her defenceless. I stepped back, putting the sword at her throat.