𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆.

003

003. KNIVES

THE NEXT MORNING, the rising sun peers over the maze walls, looking down on the snoring boys as they shuffle uncomfortably in their hammocks. The only people missing from the homestead is Evelyn and Ben, who are perched on a log together. Both of them are relaxed in a comfortable silence as they let the cool morning air wrap around them. It was their morning routine for the pair to have a quiet chat before either of them had to go running that day. Evelyn found it hard to tolerate a lot of the boys for longer than a few minutes, but Ben just had something about him that made it easy for her to like him. Maybe it's because her subconscious knows that Ben and her were friends before the maze.

"What do you think about the new greenie?" Ben breaks the silence to speak in his usual soft caring tone.

Evelyn let's out a long breath, rolling her shoulders back before she answers, "He asks too many questions."

Ben hums, "So you've spoken to him then?"

"Briefly. A minute conversation and he managed to still ask too many questions," Evelyn mutters, remembering back to her short conversation with the new boy the night previous.

Ben turns his gaze away from the expanse of the Glade and he studies Evelyn's expression closely, "You have something else to say," He decides.

Evelyn meets his eyes, sighing because he couldn't be more right, "I recognise him."

At her words, Ben's brows furrow, "How?"

"During my first year here, I had dreams," She swallows thickly, turning her eyes back to the maze walls as she continues, "I think I was dreaming about my life. I think whoever put us here messed up the stupid memory loss stuff."

Ben shuffles on the log, becoming more invested, "What exactly did you dream about?"

"Him," Evelyn whispers.

"The greenie?" Ben's head tilts.

"Thomas," She nods, "His face was a slight blur but his voice was so clear, and I only realised it last night when he finally remembered his name."

Ben sits in silence for a moment, his mind working to make sense of it all. He says, "Is this not a good thing? Maybe this is a sign that we're getting closer to find the exit out of here."

"That's the thing," Evelyn spins on the log to properly face Ben now, each of them sat facing one another like giddy little girls in a sleepover gossiping about boys, "Something is telling me not to like him, not to trust him. That he's bad news."