𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓.

004

004. BANISHMENT

EVELYN SITS CROSSED LEGGED on the dirty ground, looking down into the pit that Ben's been thrown in. He's cowering in the furthest and darkest corner, mumbling incoherent words to himself, occasionally letting out a loud shout for help while his body shakes with terror. Subconsciously, one of Evelyn's hands fiddles with one of her newly decorated knives as she digs the blade into the dirt next to her legs. Her eyes burn into Ben, barely blinking as she drowns in her mind.

"Eve," A voice calls as a hand clamps down on her shoulder and she's pulled from her thoughts instantly, looking over her shoulder at Alby, who looks down on her sympathetically, "Can I speak to you?" He questions, jerking his head in the direction of the council hall.

She nods simply, taking one last small glance at Ben before untucking her legs and following after Alby towards the meeting hut.

"What is this about, Al?" Evelyn's head tilts as she folds her arm across her chest and leans back against a beam supporting the straw ceiling.

"Ben," Alby replies, placing himself a few feet away from her in the centre of the room, "And his banishment."

Evelyn's heart sinks into her stomach at his words and she pushes away from the beam in horror, "You can't be serious," She gasps, "Alby, you— no."

"Eve," He sighs, having expected this response, hence why he brought her away from the homestead so less of the Gladers would be affected by her protest, "It has to happened. We did it to the rest."

"No, Alby," Her arms unfold as her tone sharpens and her eyes begin to fill up with rage, "This is Ben that we're talking about. We are not banishing him."

"We have no choice," Alby speaks softly in large contrast to Evelyn, "He's been stung. You've seen what the changing does to people. We can't keep him here. We can't help him anymore."

Evelyn's head shakes firmly, "We can wait. Maybe they'll send medicine for him, like they did for me. Surely if they did it for me, they'd do it for Ben! Why would they not do it for Ben?"

"We don't know why they sent help for you, but they haven't sent medicine every other time when a boy has been stung out there," Alby explains, "We have to banish him, Evelyn."

Her nostrils flare, "No! Can't we wait for a little bit? Wait for the medicine!"

"No, Eve. We can't," Alby shakes his head simply, "That'll endanger us all."

Alby always has such patience when it comes to any of the Gladers, but especially Evelyn. They were each others longest friends. He'd been present for all of her protests and fights. Every time he'd always be calm and soft with her to prevent any further outbursts.