To Make Mistakes is to Lose Everything

A.N. Hey, everyone! Been awhile, hasn't it? Here's an actual one-shot for you this time!

Synopsis: Ladybug has lost everything, all of the miraculous. She has nothing left. The only miraculous that weren't stolen was hers and... Cat Noir's. At least she still had him. Right?

*AU of the season 4 finale*

P.S. I know most MLB fanfic writers spell Cat Noir's name as "Chat Noir," and that's the French spelling of his name. I'm going to be using the English spelling, since this is going to be written completely in English. Both are technically correct, so please don't come for me.

———————————————————————

Ladybug was sitting on the rooftop she and Cat Noir usually sat, facing the Eiffel Tower. She had her head in her knees, and her arms around her knees, as she cried.

"I lost everything..." she muttered to herself through her tears.

She was a little bit hopeful that Cat Noir would show up, wherever he was. He was always there for her when she needed him the most. She could always count on him. In fact, she went to that spot exactly, because she knew he would show up eventually. At least, she thought she knew that. He had disappeared halfway through the battle, and that wasn't like him. They had taken care of the akumatized victim, but they still had to three sentimonsters to fight, and Cat Noir just disappeared. It wasn't like him to just ditch whenever there was still a villain to be fought. That was what concerned Ladybug the most. With any luck, Cat Noir would show up now, in her time of need.

Ladybug waited there for what felt like hours, but it had really only been forty-five minutes. She knew she had to get home. She stood up, but before she left for her house, she decided to leave a message for Cat Noir.

She tried calling him with her yo-yo, but just as she had suspected, he didn't pick up, so she left a message, "hey, Kitty. I'm not sure what happened to you out there when we were battling those sentimonsters, but..." Ladybug paused. She sighed before continuing, "I lost all of the miraculous. I'm not sure if you knew that already, but... I'm sorry. I failed. I'm the worst guardian ever. I failed Paris, I failed the kwamis, I failed you. I'm sorry."

She stopped recording the message, and she started making her way home. Once she got to the balcony of the bakery her parents owned, she said the detransformation phrase, "spots off."

She pulled out a macaroon from her purse to give to Tikki. Marinette then climbed down the ladder, back into her bedroom, and collapsed on her bed. She didn't bother closing the hatch to her balcony. She simply laid on her side, and tried not to cry.

Tikki laid next to her on the pillow. She felt sorrow for her holder. Marinette was one of the best Ladybug's there had ever been, and Tikki should know, considering she had served every past Ladybug to ever exist.

Tikki decided she should try to cheer up her owner. "Marinette," Tikki started.

Marinette looked at her, eyes red and puffy from crying.

"It's okay, Marinette. Sure, you made a mistake, but who hasn't? What matters is that you fix it," Tikki advised.

Marinette sat up. "But how, Tikki? I lost everything... The kwamis, the miraculous, and Cat Noir disappeared, too. I messed everything up, just because I wasn't being careful. I should've listened to you before, Tikki, and none of this would've happened."

"Then, listen to me now, Marinette. I know you'll find a way to make this right. You always do!" Tikki smiled.

Marinette sighed. "I don't know if I can this time, Tikki. If Cat Noir never shows back up, I'm all alone..."

Marinette then thought about it a bit longer, then began to panic even more. "I hope nothing happened to him during that battle. I was focused on leading the entire team. What if something happened to him, and I didn't notice?!"

Tikki tried to calm down her holder. "Marinette, calm down! I'm sure he's okay! You would know if something happened to him!"

Marinette tried to calm down, and just as she did, Plagg flew into the room through the hatch to the balcony.

"Plagg?" Marinette questioned, beginning to have a bad feeling about this. "What are you doing here? Where's Cat Noir?"

Plagg was holding the miraculous of the black cat, and he looked pretty upset. "He quit," Plagg answered, "and he said that you could do this without him."

"What?!" Marinette exclaimed, already feeling like she was about to cry again. "I've already lost everything, even Cat Noir..." She took the ring from Plagg. "I'm all alone now."

She then thought of something. "There's no way I can keep both these miraculous under the same roof. If Shadow Moth ever finds out who I am, and he finds out I have both miraculous, it's all over. He'd just need to get to me to get both miraculous. But I also can't choose a new holder for the black cat miraculous myself, because I can't know their identity."

Marinette took a moment to think. "But it's also too dangerous to even give the miraculous back out to someone. One more mistake, and it's all over."

"But you were right about not being able to keep both the miraculous under the same roof," Tikki pointed out.

Marinette thought for a moment. "I have an idea..." she said at last, "but it might be a little too risky... but it's all I've got."

She took out her phone and called Alya.

About an hour later, Alya was over at Marinette's house.

Marinette put the miraculous in Alya's hands. "Under no circumstances should you use this miraculous. It must remain hidden. It's too dangerous for me to hang on to both miraculous, and it's too dangerous to give the miraculous to another holder. It must stay hidden. Shadow Moth must never know who has it, or where it's hidden. He must think that the miraculous of the black cat will not be used again. So, under no circumstances are you allowed to use this miraculous. Not even if I'm in trouble. Understood?"

Alya looked at the black ring in her hands, and gasped. "But, what happened to Cat Noir?"

Marinette sighed. "He quit. I'm all on my own now."

"Are you sure it's a good idea to do all of this alone?" Alya asked, concerned for her best friend.

"I can't let anyone else use that miraculous. Not only is it dangerous for the holder, but it's also dangerous for the world. Shadow Moth already got ahold of all of the other miraculous. He's going to be more powerful than ever. But, the two miraculous he doesn't have are the two miraculous he needs. If only one of them is active, and he doesn't know where the other one is, there's no possible way for him to make his wish and change the world as we know it," Marinette reasoned.

"But, what if something happens to you?" Alya asked.

"Then it's more important than ever to keep that miraculous hidden so that Shadow Moth never makes his wish," Marinette answered.

"I'm not so sure I like the sound of this idea, Marinette," Alya expressed her concern.

"Alya, I'm counting on you. It's for the greater good of the entire world. Can I trust you?" Marinette asked, grabbing Alya's hands in her own.

Alya glanced at Tikki and Plagg, who were floating next to Marinette. It was clear none of them liked this idea, but they knew they couldn't do anything to change Marinette's mind.

Alya sighed, then looked back at Marinette. "You can trust me. Shadow Moth will never know where the black cat miraculously is hidden."

"Thank you," Marinette said with a small smile. She gave Alya a hug, and then Alya started making her way home with the ring.

—————————————————————————
A.N. The end!!! I hope you enjoyed!

*Written by Lynn*