Fifty : A Simple Task

"How is he?" Akshay stood by the bed, observing the healer's grim expression and immediately knew he wasn't about to be given a straight answer, or all of it.

"As I said, I believe his heart is strong, and the attack was an isolated problem from too much stress and fatigue. He should be able to resume his usual activities when he recovers," the healer replied as he busied himself with the rearrangement of medical supplies, avoiding eye contact.

"You mean if he recovers."

The old man's throat bobbed, only whatever he was trying to swallow didn't go down.

"Tell me what I need to know."

A breath taken, then a sigh. The man reeked with the smell of herbs and medicine, some of which he remembered hating as a child. "He is extremely weak, Captain. There are old wounds that hasn't fully healed, and numerous new ones that need a good rest and a lot of energy to heal. He's dehydrated and hasn't been able to drink much. He needs energy and hasn't been able to eat. He needs a rest and he's restless even in his sleep. The Salar has exhausted his body beyond the limits of a man half his age. If the fatigue doesn't kill him, this fever he's been battling will. His mind is not at rest, that is the root of the problem and no healer can fix it."

Akshay bit his lip to hear his worst fear confirmed. The Salar had been restless, even here, now, safe and protected inside a chamber with victory gained and him to keep things supervised. Every time his consciousness returned he'd dragged himself out of bed, yelling for an escort to get him out of the Barai. They'd forced sedatives and sleep remedies down his throat three times a day. It got him to rest for a few hours, before the cycle began again. And that was before the fever.

He picked up a random vial from the healer's case absentmindedly, rolled it in his hand as he turned several thoughts around on what to do next, then placed it back in when no solution presented itself. "Is there anything stronger? Something to keep him under deeper and for more hours?"

The healer shook his head. "There is, but it will also affect his ability to fight the fever and heal. There is a chance he may not wake up at all."

Akshay clenched his fists. There had to be a way out, or something that could be done. "You're telling me there's nothing we can do?"

The old man released a sigh. "If you can ease his mind on whatever has been bothering him, it might help. But you do not have much time, Captain. Whatever you need to do, do it quickly. He may only have a day or two to live if the fever doesn't go down."

Akshay nodded and dismissed the healer, then went to pour himself a drink. It would require him to find the woman, Zahara, and bring her to safety––a task he hadn't been able to accomplish. Since the Salar had collapsed, it was up to him to keep everything in order and under watch. The Barai had been completely closed off since that night to keep the news of Saracen's death and the Salar's return from leaking. The plan had been to keep things quiet for a day or two until the Salar decided how and when to make the next move. Three days had passed with no commands issued, and the men under him were beginning to ask questions. The governor Imam Raj, having seen the fire, had been sending messengers to the gate daily to inquire, and it was a matter of time before he reported it to his daughter, the former Salahari. Then his grandson, the prince regent, would send his own men to investigate. Decisions would have to be made then. Decisions too large for him to make on the Salar's behalf. Decisions that required the loyalty of men, in large number, to put into action.

He wasn't even sure he could control his own guards at the moment, not without the Salar's appearance to back it up. The night of the attack had ended with him being held at knifepoint for show, a deception that allowed him and the guards to appear loyal still to Azram as they were forced to surrender and later carry out the arrest of Saracen's men. The information the Salar had been meaning to give Azram, from what he'd gathered, was that he'd joined forces with the Rishi to storm the Barai, and the guards here were being held captive, which would save their families outside from being executed for their crimes of treachery. The news of his return with a sizable army would then spread and cause another riot––a larger one this time––by his supporters in Rasharwi, giving him a window to gain more allies and cripple Azram's power further.