Chapter 4: An Old Man For A Doctor

To just pass the time, Cat Noir had him and Ladybug talking about random things, one of them simply being akumas. He was so amazed that Ladybug's been doing quite well recently. This was based on a string theory of Tikki's.

"So, like, akumas powers are borrowed magic, not the source of magic." Cat Noir recapped, "That's why they can throw us around and we're basically invulnerable."

"Pretty much." Ladybug shrugged, "They can change our appearances and teleport us and such, but they can't touch what's beneath the magical barrier of the suit. That's also why we're not impervious to getting turned into akumas ourselves, even while in the suits."

"That makes sense." said her lover, turning his gaze to her, "For the longest time, I always thought we were immune to that, being Miraculous Holders and all."

Ladybug shook her head.

"I almost got turned once." she said, then delicately added, "And...you did..."

"Really, you?" Cat Noir's eyes widened, ignoring the him part, "I find it hard to believe."

"I'm not as perfect as I pretend to be." the girl said, following it with a soft grunt of pain, "Citizens need a good example."

"I'm not saying you're purr-fect."

They vaulted over another gap.

"But you're usually the Lady with the plan." Cat Noir went on, "I always thought that if one of us got akumatized, it would be me."

"You?" Ladybug snorted, "With your puns and sunshine smile?"

"If I still didn't know who you were, I'd say, 'And I thought you didn't notice my shining good looks.'"

It was as if on command when he quipped. When she gave him a deadpan look, she remembered the circumstances.

"Sorry, just tryna distract you from the...thing." her partner apologized, "But in all seriousness, I may be funny and charming, but as you know, home is not the happiest place on Earth."

"I'm sorry, Kitty." his lover whispered.

"Hey, don't sweat it," shrugged Cat Noir, "You're not the one who's constantly disappointed by my existence."

"I don't know what I'd do if you didn't exist anymore." Ladybug mumbled.

Cat Noir stopped on his tracks. A breeze blew by, and the boy felt a chill go up his spine. Despite the love he knew she had for him, saying that to Cat Noir was something...new.

"Ladybug—" he started.

"I can't imagine having anyone else for a partner," she continued quietly, "I can't even imagine anyone being disappointed in you. You're far more wonderful than people give you credit for."

The boy's cat ears drooped. His heart dropped to his stomach. And that chill he had felt before had turned into an ice cube.

"You're saying that to the guy who used the power of destruction on you." he muttered.

"Not on purpose." Ladybug reminded him, "I can't expect you to be perfect. That would just dehumanize you. It's not—"

Another scream of pain interrupted the conversation. As Ladybug's knees buckled, Cat Noir lowered her slowly on the zinc of the rooftop. She crossed her arms over her stomach and hunched forward, while her breath came out more as painful pants.

"Breathe." said Cat Noir, tentatively. How helpful could that really be? "We're almost there, My Lady."

He rubbed circles on her back, hoping to soothe the pain. But he knew there was only so much that could help. For a moment, he almost had a mini panic attack, as Ladybug started whispering to herself: