Chapter Eleven

Play music for best experience
when you see the music note 🎵

"You sure this is it?" Esmerelda asked, peering up at the tall building with neon lights, music blaring inside.

"Yep. Goliath's gang hangs around here, according to my sources. Your rhino guy should be here, or in the area."

Esme stood with her hands in her pockets, moisture clinging to her skin from the humidity. Even the fibers of her hoodie fell victim to the dew that hung heavy in the air.

She looked around, walking towards the corner of the street and leaning back against the lamp post, keeping her head tilted down with her hood shielding her face from people who walked by- though most of them looked so intoxicated she doubted they would ever remember her face. Or the mask that covered it.

She had waited two days for this. Poured all her focus into perfecting her suit to be thin enough to let her barbs sink through the fabric so that she could stick to walls better. Perfected her mask to have built in visors to protect her eyes both from rainfall and the wind when she swung. With the added technology of built in surveillance and holo screen.

Designed her suit to mimic the tarantula that bit her, mimicking the brown body with the feiry orange pattern on her boots, gloves, shoulder pads and a spider emblem that stretched over her chest like flames.

Half her mask had the pattern too, detailed with web patterns, an idea from Sophia. All of it served a purpose. She wanted to be able to take a punch as much as she packed one. Wanted people to remember her. Specifically one person.

The night was only beginning, women dressed in cocktail dresses or skintight pants and skirts holding their latest arm candy and moving in and out of the club.

If this is where the man who killed her aunt would be, then Esme wasn't leaving until she found him. She tried to discreetly look at everyone who walked past, checking their wrists for the rhino tattoo.

She waited, ear plugs muffling the outside world with music she popped on. It seemed to be the only thing that shut out the gunshot that echoed in her head.

Just as her hope was beginning to fade with the crowd, she noticed a familiar tall, stalky figure coming out of the club. He had another man with him, and his body seemed to sway as he staggered forwards, his fingers dragging a vape from his lips and releasing a puff of cloud into the air.

The edge of his sleeve fell down just enough to show the faint yet recognizable outline of a rhino.

Her fists curled into her hips. She waited for a second, watching him cross the street with an arm slung over his comrade, swaying and laughing as they moved into an alley.

"I found him. I'm going in." Esme whispered, slinking forward once she was sure she found an opportunity between cars.

She stopped by the edge, her back pressed to the wall and peering around the corner. She saw him enter a group of other men, dressed in the same style of dark clothes with pops of blue or green.

Her guy was dressed in all grey though. A tracksuit and a gold chain around his neck. The same chain he stole that night.

Esme's throat tightened. Her veins were burning with embers. One life over a necklace. She was sure she was going to pop a vein from how tense her forehead throbbed.