四 enemy encounter

You were 10. Your brother 14.

Kazuki finished his food, as the maid cleared his dish.

He turned to her as the sound of running water came from the sink, "Miss where is our mom this morning?"

"Your mother had an appointment, and your father is away with work."

Kazuki turned to you, then the maid again,

"Miss, can we go play outside for a little?"

The maid nodded her head and smiled, "Of course. Just no shenanigans. I don't want either of you hurt."

Kazuki smiled and grabbed your hand.

"But I'm not done," you whined as he led you outside leaving your half eaten plate behind.

The two of you played outside chasing each other in the backyard. Acres and acres of green space surrounded by thick hedges, the smell of fresh air, the warm sun against your pale skin, and the wind blowing through your hair as you chased Kazuki.

He turned around and grabbed you, pulling you to the ground in a hug as you burst into a fit of giggles.

"Kazi! I'm supposed to be the one chasing you!"

He just laughed in return, letting you go, as the two of you both lay on your backs in the soft grass looking up at the blue sky.

"Shiina?"

"Hm?" you hummed as you tried to make out shapes of the few clouds in the sky.

He turned to look at you, his expression serious.

"Dad isn't who you think he is."

You blinked not understanding his words.

Or where this was even coming from.

"Kazi, if it's about me not being their biological daughter I know that."

There was a moment of silence.

"Shiina, he's a bad man."

You sat up abruptly in the grass, not looking at him.

"Stop with that already."

"You're the only one he keeps in the dark, Shiina. It's to control you-"

"I said stop!!" you finally shouted as you looked at him.

He sat up beside you, eyes looking up at the sky as he sighed.

"I'm just warning you."

He paused.

"I'm warning you of what's to come. In case I'm not around to warn you later."

You woke up to the infirmary door being slammed open.

Clione had burst in and was walking towards your bed with an alert expression.

"There's an enemy ship, spotted, you must come with me!"

Well, good morning to me.

You were disoriented and groggy as he dragged you out of bed by the arm, and out into the hallway.

Your tired brain tried to make sense of what was happening.

Enemy Ship?

Wasn't this a goddamn submarine?