088. heaven trip

The brothers went on a case, none of the others really wanting to go. The twins were reluctant to be without their dad, but were pretty okay after understanding they'd have Larissa and Natalie with them still.

Ophelia is eating the pancakes Bobby made her for her birthday when the phone rings.

"Yeah?" Bobby answers. "Here you go, sweetheart." He gives the phone to Ophelia.

"Hello." She says.

"Hi, Ophi." Sam greets. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks." Ophelia says.

"I, uh... I know we're not holiday or-- or birthday people, but... you know, 10 years old is a pretty big deal." He remarks.

"I don't feel very different." She frowns.

"You will eventually." Sam says. "You doing anything?"

"Bobby made me pancakes. Jacob and Aunt Natty said they'll take us out to eat later, let me pig out on however much junk I want to." Ophelia says.

"Sounds like fun." Sam says.

"You think that sounds fun?" Ophelia frowns.

"For you." Sam says with a small laugh. "Your dad call you yet?"

"No." Ophelia mumbles. Sam's jaw clenches. "It's okay. Like you said... we're not birthday/holiday people. I don't expect anything from him."

"O..." Sam mumbles.

"It's not the first time. He never says it. I don't even think he ever actually remembers it. It's fine." Ophelia says.

"I can knock some sense into him." Sam offers.

"No. It's not the same if it's forced." Ophelia sighs. "Are you guys almost done with the case?"

"We, uh... we think so." Sam says. "I'll see you in a couple days, okay?"

"Okay." Ophelia says.

"And hey. Don't kill the seven year olds and be good for your aunts and Jacob." Sam says.

"Aunts?" Ophelia frowns.

"I-- I-I just meant... I-- be good for Natty and Lissy, okay?" Sam tells her.

"Okay." Ophelia says. "You know, referring to her as my aunt means you wanna marry her."

"No, it doesn't. It means she's like an aunt figure to you. It has nothing to do with my feelings."

"Mm-hmm. You're gonna owe me 20 dollars." She grins. "Once you finally man up and get all whipped and everything."

"Wha--"

"That's what Natty and Jacob say." Ophelia says.

"Okay. Well, good talk. Bye, Oph." Sam hangs up.

+++

The group are at the diner, the twins and women sitting on one side of the booth while Jacob and Ophelia are on the other side.

They finished eating dinner and a waitress brings them a sundae.

"For the birthday girl." She softly smiles at Ophelia.

"Thank you." Ophelia says.

"You're welcome." The waitress smiles, walking off.

"Okay." Jacob claps his hands, pulling out a candle and a lighter.

"Babe, babe. I don't... candle on ice cream isn't a great idea." Natalie says.

"Right." He mumbles. "No worries."

Jacob gets a candle out and holds it, lighting it.

"There you go." He holds the candle between two fingers. "Make a wish."