7. Nong

Ped rushed back home as soon as he could, ditching the summer camp that was meant to last for another week. He couldn't care less about the camp. His mind was filled with worries as he heard that his little sister had almost drowned to death.

Thoi, the family doctor of Thanachart family was supposed to be present in the summer camp. But he was suddenly called back by the family.

This made Ped suspicious. He had to threaten the staff organising the camp to finally get to know that his sister had fallen into the lake and had almost lost her life.

Cher, his only sister was his lifeline. He loved her more than anything in the world. He could do anything for her as long as it made her happy. 

Opas tried to stop him when he tried to barge into the mansion. "Young master, old madam and master are entertaining a guest. You can't go in." 

"Entertaining a guest?" Ped scoffed. His sister just escaped the mouth of death and his family still has the piece of mind to entertain a guest.

Ped pushed the butler aside and strode in.

Inside the living area, he saw his father and grandmother, along with a petite boy who was getting checked by Thoi. The boy was holding his grandmother's favourite handkerchief.

"There is nothing to worry about. It is just a cold. I will administer an injection so that it doesn't develop into a fever." Thoi said to Jear, who nodded approving him to proceed with the injection.

Ped stayed next to the pillar and watched as the doctor injected the medicine into the stranger's veins. He saw how concerned his grandmother was about the stranger and felt bitter. This care and concern was never shown for him or his sister.

Jear noticed Ped standing there. "Ped? What are you doing here?"

Ped turned to his father, walking in "I heard about Cher and..." He bit his lips nervously. He was ready to get an earful from his father.

Jear hummed. "Come take a seat." He knew how much his son loved his sister and secretly felt proud of the strong bond between his children.

Ped was surprised that his father wasn't scolding him. He took a seat as he was instructed to do.

"This is Ped, my son. Cher's Phi saai." Jear introduced him to the stranger. "Ped, this is Noah. He was the one who saved Cher today."

Ped was suddenly enlightened. He smiled and waied at the stranger. The stranger waied back.

Earn had lied to the Thanacharts when he was asked his name. He had cooked up a story when he was asked who he was and where he was from. He couldn't tell them the truth anyway.

He was having a hard time holding back his laughter. His father's cool image was completely shattered as he looked at the teenage version of his father in front of him.

The teenage Ped was thin and lanky, with small sprouting signs of facial hair. His hair was long and reached up to the shoulders like a hippie.

Not that Earn had any opinions on the long hair, but Ped's hair was sticking to his scalp as if it had been licked by a cow. 

"Thank you for saving my Nong, khrab," Ped said sincerely.

"Khrab," Earn smiled awkwardly. This was the umpteenth time someone was thanking him for saving the drowning girl. 

"Thank you for your hospitality. I think I should get going now." Earn slowly stood up. He didn't have a plan on what to do next. But he knew that he didn't want to stay there any longer.

He was feeling extremely uncomfortable under his grandfather's suspicious gaze, his great-grandmother's overflowing affection that wasn't actually directed at him and his father's thankful gaze.

As he stood up he felt a bit dizzy and he quickly supported himself, holding on to the hand rest of the sofa he sat on.

"Nong, you should take it easy," Thoi instructed. "The medicine is starting to take effect."

"Noah, Why don't you stay for dinner? We will have the driver drop you back" Prapha suggested. She had already accepted the fact that the kid in front of her was not Phon. Not her son who passed away in his teenage years.

But that didn't make her feel any less caring towards the child in front of her. 

"I don't think that is a good idea." Earn didn't want to get caught already. If he did, he would be leaving a bad impression on his father. He had to come up with a plan before getting close to the Thanacharts or else he might be caught off-guard by them.

The three Thanacharts were insistent on having him stay for dinner. With no other option left, Earn had to relent to their wish. He was feeling hungry as well.

He hadn't had anything other than the meat bun he had in the morning as breakfast. The swimming had been so energy-consuming that he felt tired.

Ped had really warmed up to the little guy. He couldn't understand why he felt a protective instinct towards the stranger. He led Earn to the dining area.

Prapha took the central seat of the long dining table as she was still the head of the family. Jear sat to the left of her with Ped on the right. Earn sat next to his father.

Cher, the girl whom Earn had rescued also joined the table, sitting next to Earn, thanking him for saving her life.

The maids soon brought in a blackish-brown coloured fluid and placed it in front of Earn and Cher.

"This is the Chinese medicine that helps you warm up your stomach," Prapha said urging the two feverish young ones to consume the horrible drink.

Cher stared at the bowl as if it was her mortal enemy. She had taken this medicine before and it tasted so horrible that she almost threw up.

"Noah, son, why don't you drink it and set an example for Cher?" Prapha asked smilingly. Noah had told her that he was seventeen, which meant that he was the same age as Ped, a year older than Cher.

Earn smiled helplessly. From his peripheral vision, he could see his father's wicked glee at his misfortune.

Cher reluctantly picked up the bowl as she saw Earn pick his bowl up because she couldn't be disrespectful to their guest. She knew that her grandmother was using Earn to make her drink the medicine.

Earn clamped his nose and chucked down the medicine in one go. Cher did the same.

The two people had the same disgusted expression on their faces.

Pfft. A chuckle escaped Ped's lips as he watched the two people in agony.

Both Earn and Cher turned to glare at him simultaneously.

Earn looked at his Mimi with the sweetest smile he could muster. "Khun Prapha khrab. I think Young Master Ped too wants to consume the medicine."

Ped's eyes widened when he realised that he was about to be trapped. "No, I-"

Earn suddenly patted Ped's shoulders "You don't have to say more young master. Everyone here knows how difficult and tiring the summer camp is. Also, you had travelled all the way here for your Nong, while worrying so much. It is understandable that you are tired."

Before Ped could say something, he heard his grandmother say "Noah is right. You do look tired. Bring a bowl of medicine for young master as well."

His eyes widened in horror as he watched the maid bring in the black liquid. Under the supervision of all the people around the table, he could only consume it without protests.