Shards

Waking up after a night hunt was hard as he got older. Aches and pains he could have shaken off took longer to work out. Redeemer had uncharacteristically slept in as well. By the angle of what sun he could see from the small window, it must be passed early meal. As his head cleared, he saw the dull gleam of the destroyed mirror on the floor, so the first thing he did was to stand and survey the damage. It was thorough. Brittle pieces reflected his image back. At times, he thought he could spot his beloved in them, staring at him, hurt, angry confused, as only Wei Wuxian could convey it all at once.  A common occurrence and one he had gotten very used to seeing in the last decade and a half. He had long since stopped looking over his shoulder to see if he was actually there. He never appeared other than in a mirror. Therefore, the normally vain-free Lan Zhan had several installed in his Jinshi at home, any chance to look into those silver eyes, even if he could only discern recrimination and disappointment in them now. But he had never reacted towards them with such frustration as he did last night. There was a light tap on the door and the toadying voice of the innkeeper could be heard.

"Master? Will you be needing a meal?"

"Thank you. Plain congee and tea, please. And a broom and dustpan. There was an accident last night and I broke the mirror. I will clean it up myself and recompense you immediately. I am sorry for the inconvenience."

"No worries, Sir. No worries."

"And have a tub and hot water brought up after my meal. Thank you." And he was left in peace, surrounded by tiny reflections once more.

************

Silhouette was already in town. He wore a dark and rather scratchy robe found in another pile in the bungalow. It fit the body he now occupied and smelled okay, so he pulled the hood over his wild mane of hair. He had checked the face out and was somewhat pleased that the slight resemblance to his old self, allowed him to feel comfortable within this new package. Really, he did not care. It was only temporary. As soon as he could, he planned to leave this shell behind one day and return to his desired non-existence.

In the meantime, he was here to search for that stodgy asshole from last night. He wanted his hair ribbon and some recompense for his troubles. Money or a bottle of Emperor's Smile would do nicely; liquor to keep memories at bay and some copper or silver to travel on, once this shitty debt to Mo was completed. Not much of a plan, but a plan nonetheless. If he did get a chance to talk to him, he also wanted him to back off. He was night hunting these grounds and he did not need the competition. Some are not just rich scions out to be heroes. Some people had to work for a living. That job he had sniffed out could have helped him get by for a while. That sheep-killing pile of offal would have been a piece of cake, easy money for someone with his skills.

************

After he bathed, Redeemer changed into his usual white robes. The brown ones were being cleaned in anticipation of the night hunt scheduled after the debate tonight. The only variation was the brown belt; he wore it every day, usually cinched around his waist as tightly as possible. He had designed it himself. Now that the back was healed, with only a few daily twinges to remind him of his downfall, and the brand was completely healed, he craved another physical reminder of his failure as a soulmate. The heavy strap had been lined with sharp silver studs that faced inward, and when cinched tightly enough, bit deeply into the skin. Rounded slightly, they did not make him bleed, which would have caused great concern to his brother, but the metal bruised badly, and the pain was enough to bring constant awareness. The red cloth, richly embossed with silk embroidered lotuses, that covered the front of the belt, was an outward reminder to all who knew him, that this was a man who mourned and regretted with his entire being. Those around him had long since stopped criticizing his state of imperfection on this matter and left him alone. Even his estranged uncle had finally shut up. Still of immense importance, as a cultivator and as the Seeker of Chaos, he had a solid place in Cloud Recesses, but he was regarded, now, as somewhat less than perfect and definitely difficult to predict. He preferred it that way as people tended to give him a wider berth than others who ran the enclave. 

He stopped in the common area, ignored the gawking of the other patrons, and ordered a pot of tea. He needed some extra stimulus this morning. As he let it steep beyond his preferred strength and began to sip it slowly, he removed a scroll from his sleeve and a brass traveler's quill and inkwell and began a message to Lan XiChen outlining the success of the night hunt. He fashioned each character with the extreme care that made his calligraphy renowned, when suddenly a hand slapped down on the table's surface and an uninvited guest plopped down across from him.

"Look, You owe me a red ribbon and some pay."

The quill slipped sideways across the woven slats and Redeemer's head jerked up, to meet angry gray eyes with specks of burning silver, glaring at him. The quill dropped from nerveless fingers and Redeemer could not tear his own eyes away. The quill rolled, forgotten, teetered back and forth a moment, and fell silently to the floor. The face in front of him was so different when up close; similar, but different. But the soul. He knew that soul right away, and he had waited sixteen years to encounter it again. 

"I was planning on taking that fat bastard out myself last night, and you come out of nowhere and steal my paycheck."

Redeemer took a steadying breath and began to shed his alter-persona.

"I had contracted that hunt from the soliciting party. And you did not make your presence or claim known at the time. Your name?"

"W...Wo...Mo...Mo Xuanyu."

"Good Morning Mo Xuanyu. I am Lan Zhan of Cloud Recesses."

" I really don't care who you are..."

"Have you had breakfast?"

"No...but..."

Lan Zhan signaled the innkeeper. "Please feed this acquaintance of mine breakfast. Mo Xuanyu, indulge me for a moment. I have a written draft from last night's hunt. I will go to a money changer and cash it in. Then we will conclude our business when I return."

He rose and left the establishment without another word and the innkeeper and Wei Wuxian watched him leave, tall and elegant. Wei Wuxian turned to the Innkeeper.

"Is he coming back?"

"If he says so. Seems to be an honest, painfully honest, sort. Order up, Mister. Eat to your heart's content, it is his copper coin after all."

Grinning widely, the younger man leaned back. This was the beginning of payback.

"I'll start with one of everything. Double up on the bacon and steamed buns though. Then we'll see how it goes!"