no money and expensive funerals

Camp Toccoa, Georgia
September 1942

"We didn't know how long you wanted us to stay, the decision is yours dad"

Robert knew damn well they simply didn't plan the trip correctly. For some reason, this didn't surprise the colonel at all, even when they were young Joanne and James were horrible at planning stuff. Wether it was their activities for the day or planning a trip to another town, they always forgot something, if not multiple things every time they went somewhere. It could be hilarious at times, but it had caused quite a bit of trouble on some occasions.

Robert thought for a bit until he remembered something "Well, we recently had some officers transferred, so there are a few open beds in their barracks where you both can stay for the time being, but why not just book a hotel close by?"

"We don't have the money for that anymore. Oma's funeral and burial were both very expensive; we had to place a reservation for a spot in the cemetery at the closest synagogue, which is over two hours away from New Summerfield by the way, caskets have also become ridiculously expensive just like funeral cars, especially the ones that are willing to drive a body for over two hours and are available within a day. We didn't get to invite anyone since grandma had no friends or anyone she knew here, but a couple of local jewish people from the town over there showed up to pay their respects, which was very nice. We had to make contact with the Rabbi of the synagogue somehow within a short time because grandma died yesterday so she had to be buried today if she wanted to be buried accordingly. We had to buy a white gown she could be buried in, i had to buy  a Kippah 'cause i wouldn't be able to even enter the synagogue otherwise, Jo had to buy a veil because it's proper etiquette or something and not to forget the train ride here that cost more than enough"

James ranted, his Texas accent coming through slightly at the end of his explanation. He just couldn't understand why Joanne wanted a traditional funeral and service for their grandma when she could've just been buried at the local cemetery back in New Summerfield.

"Jesus Christ kids, who in the right mind was able to pull all of that off within a day? And by god tell me why you spent all of that money on the funeral of that goddamned woman?" Robert was surprised, he thought he raised his kids to be humble and smart with their money and to not go all-out just because they could.

"It was my choice to give oma an entire Jewish funeral dad, she said she couldn't go without a proper funeral, honoring her belief and how she lived in it. And in my defense, we didn't want to go all out but the Rabbi said the synagogue would cover the bigger part of the service and burial over the telephone, but said after the funeral it wouldn't be possible 'cause oma wasn't officially part of their group or assemblies" Joanne explained.

She thought the Rabbi rather brought shame to their local community, as it was taught that the Jewish people were to imitate God's love for people, but he just seemed selfish and money-hungry; as he raised the price of the service and funeral after it had been over with, leaving the Sink children with just enough money to get two train tickets to Georgia.

"How will you two eventually get back home then?"

"We have absolutely no clue to be honest" James answered, he didn't even want to go back home, home was getting boring dull for him, even traveling for his job didn't give him joy or satisfaction anymore.

Robert knew he had more than enough money to send them home, but he knew James and Joanne wouldn't even think about asking him for money and wouldn't accept it even if he did give it to them.

Sink thought, if James wanted, he could join the paratroopers easily, as they had started their training not too long ago, he could catch up with them easily if he tried.

And Joanne... Her father knew she was in good physical shape as she had always said to him how she loved taking jogs in the early morning around the fields around their house and with her friends back in Holland, it would be difficult, but not entirely impossible...

"Now, we all know i have more than enough money to send you dumb kids home, but y'all are so damn stubborn i know both of you won't take it from me, so i have a proposition; would you like to join the airborne, both of you?" He asked, it would take a lot of convincing to get Joanne in, but he knew she could be great among the men if she wanted to.

Safe to say, Joanne was shocked to say the least. She? A woman? In the airborne? Was her father going insane?

Her face must have shown her thoughts because James, who actually thought it was a great idea said "Yeah sure! Why not, you know? Joanne, say yes!You're in much better shape than me, if i can do it, you definitely can"

He had a reasonable amount of enthusiasm in his tone and actually looked exited about the offer, Joanne was the complete opposite, she was full of doubt still.

"Joanne, i know you're full of doubt, that look on your face says more than enough, but in the letters you've sent me you said you loved taking runs and that you thought you were in pretty good shape. You were also thankfully blessed with your ma's height, some of the men here were not so lucky, but i'm telling you they manage just fine. It might take a week or two, but i think i can put in a word for you and set something up" The Colonel said, sitting back in his chair. It was true, he had every confidence in his children's abilities, James just wanted some fun and adventure and Joanne still needed to properly find her place back in the States after being away for so long.

"I'll let you think on i-"

"I'll do it, if the higher ups allow it" Joanne answered, interrupting her father.

.・。.・゜✭・.
Author's note:
Hi!! I know this chapter is quite short compared to the others that i have written before this, but i'm planning to make a slight timeskip so that the boring part before James and Joanne join the airborne is over and we can move onto the training and meeting the men and whatnot.

I'm trying to write and update this story more but it can get quite difficult at times so i apologize for that!

This is also not proofread so if this chapter (or any chapter for that matter) has a grammar mistake, please tell me!💗