Asukai is Born (iii)

Four months later, thunder struck the top of the fig tree growing in the depths of  Goshalion Mountain the night a girl was born to Queen Asha. The baby screamed her lungs out letting the Airi Clan know she was strong enough to face the task that fell on her shoulders at birth.

"She has strong lungs, Your Majesty. The princess will grow up brave," the birthing healer declared as she cleaned up the crying child.

"That's a relief," Queen Asha said, tired from her efforts. "Can I hold her?"

"Yes, my Queen," Naziha, her closest attendant said, hurrying to the doula who was busy swaddling the baby princess in the finest cotton blanket. Naziha held the princess with care and brought her to the queen.

Asha held her daughter, her eyes filling with tears even as a smile curved her lips. She held the princess close and leaned in to press a soft kiss on her daughter's forehead.

"You are born on a tormented night," Asha whispered into her daughter's ear. "Your father fights for our clan's right to live. The thunder is fierce. You shall be blessed with infinite strength to fight for our people. Your reign will not fall. You shall bring change to all of us."

Asha closed her eyes, her tears slid down her cheeks. She prayed to the giver of the Azure Fountain waters to protect her child. To give her a good life. To let her survive the coming trial.

"Naziha, it is time," Asha said, after a few minutes of holding her daughter. "Get Zila. Fetch the bag of clothes we packed, and make sure they are suitable for a twenty-year-old girl. Double-check that they match the clothes the Hodari clan wears. I do not know what will become of the daughters of Airi, so we must plan for all circumstances. The only person who can protect this child is beyond our realm."

"Yes, my Queen," Naziha said.

"Go, don't waste time," Asha said. "Our mountain is in a full calamity. Jesah will not be kind come morning."

Naziha rushed away, leaving behind the four attendants who helped Asha clean up and dress in fresh robes. The attendants wrapped the newborn baby in warm clothes. The women worked fast, wiping down the surfaces and changing the bedding.

Everything was neat by the time Naziha returned carrying a leather bag.