i

Luca watched her reflection in the mirror with dull eyes and an expressionless face. She didn't even do so much as flinch when her mother tightened the ribbon on her black dress, squeezing her torso to the point that it was nearly hard to breathe.

Summer was gone, and her sixth year at Hogwarts would be starting soon.

At just 16 years old, Luca was one the most powerful witch in her class, if not the entire school. She prided herself in not using any magic to work her way to the top. Her best class was defense against the dark arts - which was ironic taking into consideration that she practiced the dark arts behind Dumbldore's back - with potions as a close second. She spent her free time in the library or Slytherin common room studying every book to become knowledgeable in every aspect of magic.

Next to Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, Lucatrix Lestrange was the brightest student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Following in Mum's footsteps, of course.

Luca raised her gaze a little bit so that she could briefly glance at Bellatrix in the mirror. She's never said it out loud before, but all she really wanted was to make her proud.

The Lestranges weren't the kind to show affection. They've never even so much as said "I love you" to each other. They didn't hug, they didn't sit down and have family dinners, they didn't have a one-to-one heart-to-heart or any of that sappy bullshit, and they never spoke to each other about anything more than magic or wicked schemes.

This was normal.

Luca didn't know how to love any more than she knew how to be loved. All she knew was hate, curse, and kill. She was superior to everyone else around her.

Except for her mother, of course.

"Now, remember, Lucatrix."

The 16 year old exhaled through her nose. She turned around to face her mum, internally rolling her eyes. Bellatrix only ever calls her by her full name when she's deathly serious about something.

'Lucatrix, clean your room.'

'Lucatrix, mind your cat.'

'Lucatrix Morgana, don't roll your eyes at me.'

'Lucatrix, this.'

'Lucatrix, that.'

'Lucatrix. Lucatrix. Lucatrix.'

I'm literally going to Avada Kedavra myself if I hear 'Lucatrix' one more time.

Bellatrix looked her daughter dead in the eyes, matching the petite girl's expressionless face. "You're old enough now to carry out the more difficult tasks. You will get the Elder Wand at whatever means necessary."

Luca nodded to show her understanding. 'Whatever means necessary' was Bellatrix for 'Even if you have to kill someone.'

"Use your words, you ungrateful rat," Bellatrix spat.

"Yes, ma'am," Luca mumbled, once again mentally rolling her eyes so she wouldn't provoke her mother further. When she got mad, she got mad. So mad that she'd Crucio her own daughter until she got out all her frustrations.

Luca would never give Bellatrix the satisfaction of her begging for mercy. She'd take the excruciating pain for as long as her mum decided to do it for, even if it meant that she was on the verge of passing out. She'd never shed a tear, and she'd never let Bellatrix see her sweat. She was brilliant at masking her emotions.

"I know you'll make Mummy proud, my darling." Bellatrix's eyes softened for a brief moment. Luca didn't dare blink. It wasn't often that she looked at her like she was her daughter. She treated her more like a personal servant at times. Bellatrix reached out and grabbed Luca's chin roughly with her thumb and forefinger, forcing her to keep eye contact as the next words left her mouth. "Don't let me down."