Chapter 4

“Sorry this took so long dove, had a mission go sideways. Hopefully this note finds you well. Don’t worry about me, I can take care of myself. I’m glad you liked the rocks. I got you another, I have no idea what it is but it looks neat. I don’t know what you do to your cookies but I’ve never had any that tasted so good, you’re gonna make me fat. I’m not complaining. Soap’s name is really Johnny.  I gotta go, training soon.

Yours, Simon
P.S. Black is my favorite color. Green is a close second”

The relief I felt was immense when I saw the small envelope in the mail today. It was irrational I knew, to be so worried about someone I didn’t really know, but all the same I was glad to know he was safe. Also inside the envelope was what looked like a moss agate.

“Well shit,” I mutter as I smile to myself. It was rough but looked like it had the most beautiful swirls of dark green and black, almost like smoke. It was perfect.

Simon sat in the common room holding her letter. That's all she had sent this time and he hadn't been able to make himself open it yet. Over the seal on the back of the envelope was a lipstick kiss.

“Cheeky woman” he thinks to himself. He runs his thumb over the lipstick before sliding his fingers under the seal and opening the letter.

“Dearest Simon, I was anxious that maybe you had decided not to continue writing. I am glad you are safe and sound. I will worry, it's in my nature, so sorry (not really). The rock you sent me was a moss agate and it is stunning. You seem to have an uncanny ability to find some of my favorite things. Sorry I didn't send anything else this time, I figured out of all the cookies I sent last time there should still be some. I am including something else though but please don't feel obligated. My phone number is listed below.

Keep safe, Y/N”

There was a stirring of something deep in his chest that Simon had thought he had buried a long time ago. It made him itch almost and he sighed heavily.

As he was contemplating in silence on the couch Soap walks in. When Ghost doesn't look up or acknowledge him in any way he gives him a look.

“You alright LT? You've been acting off since you started getting those packages.” “She uh, didn't happen to send anymore cookies did she?” Soap asks with a big grin.

“You think it's possible to care for someone you've never met Johnny?” Ghost asked him quietly.

I had been incredibly nervous sending my phone number in the letter. Always awkward around new people and it was way worse on the phone.

“Maybe he'll just text first,” I try to convince myself. The longer that I don't get a call or text from a strange number the worse my anxiety over it gets.

When my phone rings in the middle of the night I don't even think to look at it before answering.

“Hello,” I answer softly, my voice thick with sleep.  There is silence for a few moments so I speak again “Hello, is anyone there,” I say sleepily, sitting up in my bed.

I hear a soft breathing before the person on the other end speaks “Oh shit sorry, it must be late for you,” the man spoke softly, his prominent British accent in its low gravel that I felt in my bones.

My eyes go wide with immediate recognition. “Simon?” I question quietly. “I uh, yeah, it's,  well I'm not sure honestly what time it is.”

Simon silently cursed himself for not thinking of the time difference but by God the low rough tone of her sleepy voice was enough to get his blood flowing.

“My apologies for that, I didn't think about the time difference,” he rasps into the phone.

I wave my hand dismissively though he obviously can't see it. “No no it's fine.” I murmur. “I..uh..how are you?” I ask a bit awkwardly.

We chat randomly about different things, my job, what he does in his free time. He tells me about Soap's shenanigans. I laugh, truly laugh, for the first time in a long time.

Time seemed to stop for Simon at the sound of her laugh. She made conversation easy and that intrigued but also terrified him. Getting attached was a liability.  A weakness as he saw it. Distraction. And that was something he couldn't afford.