Chapter 9

Moses

Dad and I spent the day getting some last minute prep for school done. Mom refused to let me carry my folders and notebooks because she paid for them and Dad is responsible for getting me more.
We do some shopping and stop at a pizza place in the same strip mall as the store to finally eat breakfast.
"You and Jordan just met, I don't like how heavy everything is."

I pick off a pepperoni from my pizza and nibble on it.

"Maybe you two should spend a few days apart, let the hormones die down?"

It sounds like a question, but feels like an order. It's Dad's specialty, this way he isn't the bad guy.

"What happened to heavily chaperoning us?" I ask as I continue to dissect the pizza.

My Dad makes a weird face, "Well that's more Joseph's idea. He is more accustomed to teen dating habits than me."

"Which makes him more of an expert than you," I try to sound playful, "you should listen to the experts."

My Dad chuckles a little, but I can tell he isn't done.
"I don't think I'm ready for you to date."

I freeze and avoid eye contact focusing on my pizza. I take a bite and chew for what feels like five minutes while trying not to squirm under the intense feeling I get from my Dad's stare.

"It's not because you're gay."

I don't respond.

Thankfully my Dad drops the subject and tries to connect with me on other topics. He offers to come with me to meet Coach Windsor before tryouts but I turn down the offer, I don't need the team thinking I need my Dad all the time.
The ride home is just music, Dad lets me choose as some kind of peace offering I guess. We get home, our temporary home, and head inside.
"I think I want to go for a quick run so I can get to know the neighborhood." I switch to my running clothes and grab my shoes.

"I'm not trying to split you up from Jordan, I just don't want to see you get heartbroken," My Dad suddenly says. "You've already been through enough crap in sixteen years with me and your Mom."

"And with Jordan, I don't have to think about all that crap."
I put my shoes on and head out the door, headphones blasting and feet moving without a care in the world. My phone rings, it's Mom.

"Hey Mom, I'm out for a run. I'll..."

"Good, your Dad can't disturb us like last night."
My mom called around ten thirty while I was getting ready to lay down and play this MMORPG I just downloaded. She stayed on the line talking to me till one am. Dad told her it was getting late and he wanted me in bed, they argued and Dad hung up on her. I never got to play the game.

"So I was at work this morning and I saw George's Mom," why would my Mom bring up George?
"She says he really misses you and the team is sad you're gone."

"Okay," I puff out quickly as I try to maintain my pace.

"Apparently the coach said if you move back before games start, he will let you back on the team without a try out since he has a couple spots."

I breathe out, "Why would coach tell George's Mom that?"

"How would I know?" My mom is using a higher pitch which means I caught her in a lie.

"Well I try out for the team here soon and Coach Windsor wants to meet me beforehand." I pause, mainly to steady my breathing but also to give her space to respond.

"Why does he want to meet you?" She sounds disappointed.

"He likes to meet with transfers before tryouts, that's all I know."
I get to the playground in the neighborhood and cut across it to get turned around.

"Sounds like he gives special attention to kids who aren't transfers."

I know my Mom sounds ridiculous but I want to hear her out, did something sound off?

"Meeting is most likely to let you know you should lower your expectations."

Is she right?

I find myself slowing down and losing my rhythm, I can't afford that.
"Mom, I need to go."

"But we just started talking. I miss your voice so much, plus I am so lonely without my baby." She starts using this grating annoying voice that she likes to put on for attention.

"Goodbye Mom."