Dark Clouds above Sigil

"Several Harmonium patrols are on the alert after hundreds of Xaositects started assembling in the Lower Ward, outside the Great Foundry. Keldor, factor of the Godsmen, was able to confirm that the Believers in the Source have received a large but undisclosable sum of money from the Xaositects for a "special project". So far, the assembly has been peaceful, but Harmonium patrols remain on standby to deal with any possible trouble. "The problem with Xaosmen is that you never know what to expect," patrol leader Nallart told us. The "project" is thought to be part of the Surprise! which, however, will not take place for almost a year, on the Factol's Day of Capricious. As always, the exact nature of the project remains a closely guarded secret. Last year, Xaositects mages 'painted' the City Barracks with illusions to give the impression the Harmonium's headquarters were built of chaos-stuff from Limbo. Factol Sarin was not amused."

SIGIS report

Third Void Day of Regula, 126 HR

As Amariel stood outside Sarin's office, the rain was drumming against the Barracks' windows with wet fingers. It was already three hours to anti peak, sticky darkness poured over the City of Doors and the half-elf wondered why her factol wanted to speak to her at such a late hour. When she knocked, Sarin's deep, full voice answered almost immediately, granting her permission to enter. She opened the heavy door of Arcadian red beech and pulled it back into the lock as quietly as possible after entering. Then she bowed deeply before snapping to attention. Her factol sat behind his large desk, piled high with letters, parchments, lists and a map of Sigil. For a man with his sense of order, the desk was remarkably chaotic, but the decuria assumed he simply didn't have time to clean it up. When she entered, he looked directly at her and gave her a friendly nod. Her heart beat fast, as it always did in his presence. She hoped by the Lady that it wasn't apparent, tensed noticeably and pressed her lips together. It was indicative of Sarin's knowledge of human nature that he noticed it immediately.

"At ease, decuria. Please step closer." He waved her nearer with his right hand. "Take a seat."

She noticed that there was actually a chair in front of his desk, which was not the rule. Normally, one had to stand in front of the factol. This small detail only added to her anxiety. She nodded uncertainly and took a seat, though her tension did not subside. One wasn't called to the factol's office every day, much less at this hour. Sarin looked at her for a few seconds, and although his gaze was friendly, it seemed like an eternity to Amariel. Her heart beat even harder as she returned his gaze, watching him in turn. She had always had a hard time guessing humans' ages, but she knew he had to be around his mid-forties. His tanned complexion, dark eyes and black hair spoke of his origins in one of the warm, southern regions of Ortho. He didn't wear his armor now, but a white shirt with wide sleeves and over it a dark red vest, embroidered with golden ornaments that were foreign to Amariel per se, but that she often noticed on his clothing. Surely they had a connection to his old home on the Prime Material Plane, as did the two scimitars that now laid within grasping range on the left side of the desk. She realized once more how handsome he was, which had also been her first thought at their initial encounter. In a clear-cut, very human-masculine way, quite different from the beauty of the elves, but unmistakably attractive. Amariel's heart beat faster again and she lowered her gaze quickly. Her cheeks felt hot, had she blushed?

"Decuria," Sarin began after those few seconds that had seemed endless. "I'm sure you're wondering why I asked you to come here at this hour."

Outside, the rain got heavier, drumming against the windows, and the faint rumble of thunder could be heard from afar. Amariel raised her eyes again and looked at her factol. She knew very well that Sarin was bothered about not looking him into the eyes. "Yes, factol," she replied. "That thought has certainly occurred to me. Not ... not that it would bother me, sir! I came very gladly!"

Sarin smiled and she bit her lips again. Came very gladly? What a stupid wording. What a completely awkward formulation ... However, he did not give her time to think about it.

"I'm glad to hear that, decuria. And that's why I don't want to ramble on but get straight to the point."

Yes, that was his specialty. Sarin usually got to the point very quickly. Without many squiggly words or diplomatic maneuvers. It was said that he often took the other factols by surprise because of this. Amariel nodded and looked at him firmly.

"Decuria," Sarin continued. "I know you are from Arcadia and were stationed in Melodia until recently. And no one knows better than I do, that the Cage is truly not one of the Upper Planes. Still, would you consider staying here in Sigil for an extended period of time?"

Given the fact that you are here? Forever! Amariel took a deep breath and pushed down her rebellious thoughts. She had to clear her throat briefly before she answered. "Yes, factol. I could certainly see that happening."

He nodded, leaning back a bit. "And would you be okay with me calling you in more often at times like this? Or outside of your duty roster?"

Now, she didn't know what to answer and stared at him with her eyes widened in surprise. The rain drummed against the windows even heavier than before and a second, louder thunder rumbled. When Sarin noticed her confusion, he straightened up in his chair again.

"Excuse me, decuria, that was a little ... that was an unfelicitous wording." His smile sent another wave of heat through her body. "The thing is: Now that prefect Vandarias has gone into his well-deserved retirement, I need a new aide. I have thought of you."

He could not be aware of how much he was turning her world upside down with this simple sentence. She, Amariel, adjutant to the factol? That meant an immensely great responsibility ... and to be constantly near him. Could he possibly suspect ...? No, he could not guess it, otherwise he would never have considered her for this appointment. Her thoughts were like wild unbridled horses, tearing her helpless mind relentlessly away. By the Lady, he never had to harbor the slightest suspicion. It was only a harmless infatuation, only that, no more.

"Decuria?" Sarin's deep voice pulled her out of the whirlpool of her thoughts.

"Excuse me, factol," she stammered. "This is very unexpected. I ... it would be my greatest honor if ... if you actually consider me capable ..."

"If I didn't, I would not have asked you," Sarin replied seriously.

"Of course not, sir." Amariel closed her eyes briefly and took one deep breath to collect herself. "Factol, I would take up this office with the utmost pleasure and place all my knowledge and skills at your disposal to accomplish the task to your satisfaction!"

He smiled again. "Of that I am sure." She realized how he seemed much more relaxed, now that he was talking to her alone rather than in the presence of other soldiers or officers. The military sternness had given way to a warmer, more open trait. She began to realize what Killeen had meant once. Sarin will never get too close to the troops, never get too involved with them. He can't and he mustn't; he's a military leader. But should you ever be lucky enough to be alone with him - and assuming he likes you - you'll experience the knight, not the general. It was another story that Killeen - although a legate himself - did get very close to the troops. But he was so different from the factol that Amariel had not asked him any questions about it. Meanwhile, Sarin had risen and stepped to the window. Outside, a violent storm was raging by now, thunder rumbling loud and close, lightning flaring, bright scrapes in the night sky. Amariel also stood up and stepped up beside her factol, albeit a little hesitantly. He easily towered over her by a head and even under his shirt and vest his broad shoulders stood out clearly. She wished it had been less obvious to her and quickly glanced out of the window. Sarin opened it, propped his elbows on the sill and looked out into the night.

"Her Serenity seems to be in a bad mood," he noted, as a cool but surprisingly refreshing gust of wind drove into the room.

Amariel nodded. "Yes, factol, it certainly looks that way."

He talked with her for a while longer, about Sigil's day-to-day politics, about the new recruits she was currently training, even briefly about his children. He had never spoken to her so privately or so relaxed. And gradually, her racing heart calmed down, she became more comfortable, more at ease. What remained was a fresh but pleasant excitement about her new task and the sweet joy of the moment. Yes, her factol had only been looking for a new aide. But he had turned the world of a young decuria upside down for good and extremely thoroughly.