your child has a tantrum (requested)

"What should we pick up for dinner?" Minnie asked as you walked through the store together.

You were pushing the basket with Aria sitting in it as you picked up things that you need around the house.

"I'm not sure. Should we pick up some pasta or something?" You suggested and Minnie was about to reply when Aria suddenly spoke up.

"Mommy, look at the pretty doll." She said as she pointed to the doll on the display shelf.

"Yes, honey, it's very pretty." You smiled, hoping that she'd easily let it go.

"We could do pasta or we could make some stir fry."

"That sounds good. Doesn't it, Aria? You want that for dinner?" You asked, only for her to pout at you.

"I want the doll."

"Not right now." You said.

She whined as you continued to push the car further and further away from the doll.

"I want it!" She screamed.

"No." You sternly spoke.

"Yes!" She yelled and started to kick her feet. "I want it, I want it, I want!"

"Aria, calm down," Minnie said.

"No! I want the doll!" She whined before she burst into tears.

You rubbed your temples as people started to stare at the three of you.

"Knock it off." You said. "You're not getting the doll. You don't need something every time we come to the store."

She screamed, kicked, and cried as more people continued to stare and expressed their annoyance by rolling their eyes or mumbling under their breath.

She has so many toys at home already, some that she barely ever plays with, and you don't see the need to buy her more right now when she has more than enough to keep herself occupied when she plays.

"I'm not getting it." You said as you folded your arms over your chest. "Keep crying, it won't get you anywhere."

Minnie rubbed your back, sensing your stress and knowing that it wasn't easy for you to put your foot down sometimes, though it was needed.

"Alright, screw this. We'll come back tomorrow and find something to make at home tonight." You said as you lifted Aria up from the basket.

You and Minnie left the cart where it was and headed to the doors of the store, ready to head out.

Aria continued her tantrum all the way to the car, even kicking you as you put her inside and buckled her in.

"Stop it." You said. "You need to calm down."

Minnie got into the driver's seat, offering to drive so you could deal with Aria when needed.

You got in the car and Aria still wouldn't calm down.

"Hey," Minnie said, catching Aria's attention. "You can get the doll some other time, such as on Christmas or your birthday. But you need to knock this tantrum off!"

Your daughter rubbed her eyes and sniffled.

"You're not getting it today. We're going home and you are going to behave or you're going in time out. You want to go in time out?" Minnie asked.

"No," Aria mumbled.

"Then stop it right now."

Aria started to calm down and you looked at Minnie in relief.

"Thank you." You said. "Sometimes it gets so overwhelming, especially when she refuses to listen."

Minnie nodded understandingly before looking in the rearview mirror at Aria again.

"You apologize to your mom for kicking her and throwing a tantrum." She said.

"Sorry," Aria said as she looked at you.

"Thank you. Don't do it again. When I say no, that means no."

"Okay." She mumbled before looking out the window.

Minnie gave you a kiss on your cheek and you breathed out a sigh of relief, thankful that she was calm now.