8

Coriolanus
———————

Coriolanus Snow bit back his hunger as he walked into class, perfectly on time as always. He was used to timing himself superbly, so that he would never have to run to the academy. Coriolanus wouldn't allow himself to run through the doors with sweat dripping down his uniform. It looked untidy.

He could not let himself be known as untidy, or messy. Late was even worse. He supposed that lesson was taught when Sally Davenport earned her first demerit on tardiness. She was a scattered girl, but from the districts, so Coriolanus wasn't exactly surprised.

He found himself in a rather annoyed mood, mostly because he had to retake his communications exam after the Friday fiasco, where the chronically late girl, Sally, cheated off of him during the test.

It came as quite the surprise to Coriolanus. She was smart. It was something he didn't like to admit. She was probably the smartest student at the academy besides himself, yet she had still found the means to cheat.

One thing he'd noticed about Sally Davenport, was her academic perfectionism. She had probably realized she didn't know the answer to one or two questions and panicked, leading to her taking a last resort option.

It was still a pathetic thing to do. Sally had paid the price for it. Not only that, but she had also punched him in the face. It was the very first time Coriolanus Snow had been punched. He hoped it would be the last.

She wasn't in school. It was likely because she'd been suspended. Coriolanus felt slightly guilty for being glad. Sally was an annoyance to him, and unrelenting competitor. She was better than him in science, he disliked it.

Sejanus smiled at him when he walked through the doors, and Coriolanus smiled back. He found Sejanus to be naive, and sometimes a bit annoying. His rich father paid for everything he had, and still he found reasons to complain.

However, deep down in the depths of Coriolanus's soul, he liked Sejanus. He showed his feelings on his face, he didn't hide much, and he was easy to read.

He wasn't fake like the other capital students.

That was probably the only thing he found tolerable about Davenport. She wasn't fake either. She also took risks he found to be stupid. Like reading banned books, and stealing from the presidents son.
Her and Sejanus had rich father's that could pay their way out of any consequences. That was something Coriolanus lacked.

He and Sejanus talked about their weekends to each other, prompting Clemensia Dovecoat to roll her eyes and lay her head down. She was normally his class partner, and she didn't like Sejanus, like every other student in the academy.

When Dean Highbottom entered the room, he already reeked of alcohol, which was a pretty common occurrence. He also looked...sad.

"I have to make this announcement before the start of class." He began, and the students all quieted down.

"As you know, your classmate violated the rules and protocols of this academy." He was talking about Sally Davenport. Coriolanus found himself listening closer now.

"These rules are not to be taken lightly, and many of you can take her fate as a warning. She has been expelled from this academy."