16

Coriolanus

A week had passed. It felt like the longest week of Coriolanus's life. Gaul had graciously given him another extension on the paper, mainly because she'd be out of the academy for the week.
Luckily, he and Sally's act was beginning to be a success. The capital was entertained, which was all he'd been asking for.

He tried to keep his thoughts as far away from the arena as possible, but as the games were nearing, his thoughts of Sally Davenport were multiplying.

He knew now that he wanted her to win, at any cost. But was it only because she was his tribute? Was it only the plinth prize keeping her in his thoughts?
Either way, he was stressed.

It was a Monday morning, and Coriolanus continued his routine of arriving at the Capitol zoo to see Sally.

She was awaiting him by the bars, looking bored out of her mind.

He wondered how she hadn't gotten sunburned with her pale complexion, her skin still looked as soft and smooth as ever. In contrast to her jet black hair, it almost made her look ill. Coriolanus had first noticed it at the academy. Her sickly look made her stand out from everyone else, and he didn't exactly hate it.
Her eye bags were more prominent now, even though she'd always had them before, the blue beneath her eyes was now purple.

He thought it made her brown eyes look a bit lighter. Eye bags weren't a desirable trait among the women in the capital, but Coriolanus thought they suited Sally.

"I brought breakfast." Said Coriolanus, pulling out a loaf of bread. Sally seemed more than appreciative, and broke it in half, handing him back the other piece. He would've refused, but he knew she wasn't going to budge.

They didn't need to act like friends now. The cameras hadn't arrived yet, and most of the tributes were asleep. However, Coriolanus felt himself wanting to talk to her anyhow.

"How's school?" Sally asked, although there was a slight tone of jealousy in her voice. "You're going to Gaul tomorrow?"

Coriolanus nodded. "She'll be back at the academy tonight, but yes, she's having me turn it in tomorrow. Clemensia was supposed to be helping, but she's been behind on work. Because of Arachne."

Sally nodded. "If I hadn't been district- do you think we would've been friends-back at the academy?"

Coriolanus gulped. Sejanus was something of a friend, and he was district too. He suddenly couldn't recall why he and Sally had clashed so.

She was smart, she was successful at the academy. He supposed her being district was a threat to him, to his place in the capital.

Sejanus was district, but he wasn't a competitor, not like Sally had been.

He was trying to lie, to find the words, but when he looked down at her, a head shorter than he, he didn't feel the need.

"I think we could've worked well together." He admitted.

Sally paused. "Like now?"

"You think we make a good team now do you?" Coriolanus found himself grinning at her, twirling his hair in his hand. Sally looked away, almost as if she was nervous.

"They're buying it aren't they? Our friendship."

She was right, they were buying it. Deep down in the back trenches of his mind, Coriolanus wondered if it was becoming a bit more than an act. If the believability lied in truth.

He nodded. "I shouldn't have discounted you. Back at the academy. For being district I mean- I guess I was just...I felt threatened. You weren't afraid. To be different from the others. You know who you are. I want you to know that I always respected it." His throat felt tight. It always did when he was telling the truth. Like there was some sort of risk in it.