1.There's no one who hasn't stubbed their toe. Fight me

My phone rang out loud in my half-sleep state. I groaned blearily and blindly reached out for my phone. My eyes were closed against the sunshine beaming at my face. Finally, my fingers touch the cold surface of my vibrating phone. I turned over onto my stomach, cuddling my pillow. Forgetting to accept the call, I slapped my phone over my ear with a groggy voice, "Mm, 'elo?"

I drifted off to sleep when there was no answer, instead, a silence prevailed, blessing my ears from the shrill ringing.

That was probably the deepest I've slept; five seconds, before my door blasted open, jolting my heart like an electric shock. "Elara!" my Mum barged in, spatula in hand, smelling like eggs and pancakes. "Your best friend is troubling me! He told you to accept his call before placing it on your ear. The call is not going to answer itself! Do you not know how to use a phone? You have to -"

"Mm okay, okay," I mumbled and rubbed my eyes, stretching out my hands with a huge yawn. Ah, that was satisfactory, I thought as my joints cracked.

"Look at you, I wasn't aware I gave birth to a hippopotamus," my Mum commented and left, muttering profanities as I heard her descend down the stairs. I sat up and rubbed the eye boogers out of my eyes. I blinked the sleep out of my eyes as the ringing of my phone caught my attention.

"Hello?" I answered the call and immediately dropped it when the voice from the other end filled my quiet room. "FINALLY! Answer my call sooner, you sloth!"

"I did. It's too early to hear your annoying voice, Elio," I yawned into the phone and moved to draw my pastel-coloured curtains and my windows open. A relaxing breeze wafted onto my face and I closed my eyes with a smile, basking in the early morning sunshine.

"It's ten in the morning. Get ready and come to the mall. I need your help!" Elio demanded into the receiver as a group of parrots flew past me, dropping a feather that was green with its end fading into a bright red that resembled ripe cherries hiding underneath its vibrant, dewy leaves. I observed the feather in fascination, Elio forgotten before he reminded me of his presence with a shout, "Are you asleep? AGAIN?"

"You are so annoying! I just woke up, let me process everything. Today's date hasn't registered in my brain yet!"

"It is a Saturday!" his voice pierced my ear. "November 22nd! Get ready and come to the mall! I am at a loss, I don't know what to buy for Lyn's birthday! Your best friend is in crisis, come help me!"

I huffed and plopped onto my bed, "Isn't Lyn your girlfriend? Aren't you supposed to know what she wants?"

"Stop being a smartass. I'll be near the fountain at the mall. No oppositions!" With that, Elio hung up before I could get a word in.

I rolled my eyes at his late preparations. I had already bought the perfect gift for Lyn, and her boyfriend, Elio, who was unfortunately my best friend, was as unprepared as ever. I got up hazily, my blanket tangling around my legs and having me fall gracefully onto the floor. Angry that my plans to sleep in were cut off, I let out an irritated cry of frustration and rose up before I could drift off to sleep against my carpet. 

Before I could even reach out to my wardrobe, my toe stubbed the leg of the bed painfully. My eyes popped out of their sockets as I held in my scream and fell onto my bed like a sack of potatoes, clutching my foot in pain. That woke me the hell up alright!

I don't want to go to the mall! I don't want to waste my Saturday at a big, loud place! My day started out horribly already. What else could possibly go wrong?

               I entered the mall grumpily and passed through the hoards of people and colourful shops towards the centre where the fountain was flowing its waters down enthrallingly. Why did it have to be a Saturday of all days? It was the busiest day of the week and Elio chose today to shop for a gift? What a bother!

I grumpily evaded the groups of giggling, loud teenagers and families whose children ran off to directions unknown with their parents calling out for them; in short, I hated it.

Finally, I recognized the cascading waters of the huge fountain. It was mostly young people who were loitering around the white-marbled architecture, some clicking pictures with it or having a snack or two on its rim. Little kids were throwing bronze coins into the glistening blue waters, making wishes that I hoped would come true, as my heart lightened at their happy smiles.

I stopped near a potted fern plant, placed my hands on my hips and scanned the crowd for Elio with a deep sigh. At last, I spot the familiar back of his tall figure, his black curls shining as he spoke into his phone. He was facing the waters, so I was concealed from his vision.

I smirked.

Let me teach you a lesson for cutting off my Saturday sleeping-in schedule!

I trudged along the marble-tiled floors and stood about ten feet directly behind him. I got into position and crouched, ready to fire.

Some passersby glanced at me apprehensively, but I was on a mission.

With a final grin, I took off like a bullet shot at the starting line, put all my force on my feet and jumped directly onto the back of Elio, clinging on to him like a vine. The boy yelped in panic as his arms held on to me when we almost dangerously splatted into the fountain. But you could also hear the unmistakable splash of his phone dropping into the waters below.

"M-my phone!" an unfamiliar voice vibrated back to my body, making me freeze as the boy I had jumped onto struggled to get me off him in an attempt to retrieve the phone that had fallen into doom.

Why did Elio's voice sound deeper?

"Elara!"

Now that sounds more like Elio!

"What do you think you're doing?!"

And Elio's voice definitely didn't come from the boy I had jumped onto. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Thought I would write a fun short story for the Aim to Engage Challenge 2023 by the Ambassadors! And here is my first chapter! I hope you guys enjoy it!