Chapter 6 [UNEDITED]

Quinn sat on her bed, her knees close to her as she read To Kill A Mocking Bird. The pages getting stuck to her fingers. She felt like throwing the book against the wall, her face looking angered. Her window was open, letting fresh air in. She heard a knock on her door, and without a word Cecily walked in slowly. The door creaked behind her, as it always has. Cecily looked awkward; she played with her fingers, looking around Quinn's room.

Quinn put her book down next to her, being reminded of how different everything was from the book to her reality. 

Cecily sat at the edge of Quinn's bed. "I just wanted to say sorry about... You know," she said finally, looking up at Quinn. She was confused for a moment before she realized why Cecily was here.

"It doesn't matter. He's your brother; you shouldn't be making excuses for him," Quinn replied, scooting next to Cecily. They both wore similar clothes: tshirts and pajama pants.  "I think he deserved what he got, though."

Cecily lowered her head, laughing slightly. Before Quinn knew it, they both erupted in laughter, like they always did. At the edge of Quinn's mind, though, she remembered the suburban girl in her dream. The girl with the blonde hair, the same shade of Quinn's, and the same features. It was her, but it also wasn't. There was a difference, but there also wasn't. Quinn pushed the thought back to the corner of her mind, wishing to forget about it. Thinking that it was just a fantasy, nothing else.

It's not like it mattered.

Suddenly, Quinn's door was swung open. Theo stood in the doorway, his nose a dark purple color. He looked unfazed by it, though, as he gave Cecily a look of understanding. When he looked over at Quinn, his face transformed to a look of hatred and disgust. Two of Quinn's favorite things! He took his hand off the doorknob, and came more into view. He wore his gear and at his sides were his dagger and steele. Quinn had never seen him in gear before, but she knew what that meant.

"We need you to come with, Cecily. And I guess you can bring your excuse for a friend, too," Theo announced, crossing his arms. He tapped his foot impatiently against the floorboards. It was like he expected them both to magically transform into gear. "Hurry up."

Theo turned around, rushing out of Quinn's bedroom and down the hall, probably getting everyone else. 

Cecily stood up, walking towards the door. "Well, we better get going."

~

Quinn ran down the hallway on the main floor, wondering what was so urgent. She took an abrupt left, nearly running into an antique vase her mother would kill her for if she broke. Quinn strapped her sword, long and narrow, on her side. Her steele, of course, was on her other side, ready to use. Her hair was pulled into a high pony, and her gear consisted of a black tank, pants, and combat boots. 

Quinn was finally made her way out the back door, which was located in the back of the Institute's kitchen. It seemed weird, but very inefficient. She pulled her black hunting gloves tight over her hands, and firmly secured the straps. 

Outside the Institute looked normal. A small courtyard that yelled a few flower beds, a oak tree, and a large fountain. It wasn't anything special, but it still was pretty to Quinn. She rounded the corner of the Institute and ran down the side, weaving through several thorn bushes and blueberry plants. She tripped over a crack in the pathway when she made it to the front of the Institute, earning several weird glances from Cameron and Austin. They both wore the same as Theo. 

She picked herself up, dusting her shoulders off, trying to laugh it off. 

"Is everyone here?" Theo asked, coming around the corner of the other side. Following him was Cecily, who gave Quinn a quick smile before looking intently at her brother again. Quinn walked over to Austin and Cameron, who both look just as confused as Quinn.