Chapter 3

BOOM! this is long and now my brain feels like it's fried oh why and the awesome banner is made by @reminiscene-

keep reading ;) -Elena Woods

QUINN

Quinn opened her eyes slowly, but carefully. They felt crusty at first, but she rubbed her eyes enough to break the seal. The first thing she saw was the ceiling; it’s white, popcorn texture and the many, many times she had complained about it looking tacky. She let her eyes view the rest of the room; a large desk where her mother was filing different types of paperwork, posters with kids eating apples were here and there, two rows of beds with the same white sheets as hers, and Cecily was sitting in a chair next to her bed, looking like she hadn’t slept in days. Cecily’s eyelids drooped, slowly giving in to sleep. Her hair was a mess, as it always was, but it was in different places, looking wild.

“Oh, sweetie. You’re awake!” Lydia rushed over to Quinn, a huge grin on her face.

“Huh?” Cecily’s eyes snapped awake, alert. “You’re awake!” Cecily pushed Lydia out of the way before she could hug her daughter. “I can’t believe it!”

“Yeah. Well, I’m happy I’m awake, too?” Quinn said into Cecily’s black t-shirt, barely getting the words out. Her throat felt dry, stiff, and scratchy. Each word was like sandpaper against her throat. She felt dehydrated, and the urge to drink water overcame her happiness to have her friend hugging her. Quinn patted Cecily’s back awkwardly, hoping that she would let go.

“Oh, Cecily, she looks uncomfortable,” Lydia said joyfully in that way of hers. Quinn’s mother always said everything with complete happiness, it was in her nature. “Let her go.” Lydia walked over to Quinn’s bed, her flats making a light noise each time they hit the tiled floor.

“Fine,” Cecily said finally, releasing her friend. She sat on the edge of the tiny bed, missing Quinn’s feet by an inch. Lydia gave Quinn a light hug, careful not to squeeze too hard. She released Quinn, giving her a tall, clear glass of water.

The liquid hit Quinn’s mouth within an instant. She felt like she hadn’t drank anything for days, but she knew she had probably only been asleep for the night. The water went down Quinn’s throat gratefully, each sip like heaven, and she felt sad when the glass was empty, but still felt satisfied.

“Quinn, I have news!” Cecily said happily, the earlier sleep-deprived girl was long gone. But she’d come back soon.

“Hmm?” Quinn smoothed her hair down with her left hand, but felt it tangled. She struggled to get her hand through the knot, but finally gave up. Her hair brush would be useful later. “What do you mean?”

“Hi, sweetie!” A man with dark, slightly gray, brown hair said. His face was wrinkled; lines under his eyes, on his forehead, and around his mouth were visible when he smiled. And he was smiling. He sat down in the chair that Cecily was in, his dark blue shorts wrinkling as he scooted the chair closer to the bed. Her dad, Joshua, tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear. Quinn smiled at the touch, happy to have Joshua at her bedside. His white t-shirt was stained from sweat and it was clear to Quinn that he had been out jogging in the London morning. Most of the time she would go with him, but in her current condition…

“Hi, daddy,” she said happily, sounding like a 5-year-old girl. Cecily rolled her eyes at Quinn, amused.

“Are you feeling better?” He asked Quinn, a look of doubt glinted in his eyes.

“She is fine, Joshua,” Lydia interrupted, sitting on the edge of the bed with Cecily. “She can go back to training tomorrow.” The thought of training made Quinn squirm with delight. She had everything there with her; her mom, dad, and Cecily. The only person who wasn’t there was Sammie.