Chapter 26

The haldi ceremony passed with a full swing. Almost half of the village has accumulated in Jagath ji's house. Being the head of the village, people loved and respected him a lot. His son's marriage is no lesser than a ceremony.

The older couple left no stone turned in making the day special for Urna.

Decked up in a yellow silk saree and her mother's ornaments, Urna was looking like the morning sun, full of glory. Madhu made it overly sure that Krishna shouldn't be able to spend time with her before the marriage, sticking herself with Urna. Little did they know, the man had his own plans.

The night Urna slept alone, politely turning down the offer to be guarded by Madhu. She was too tired from the whole day's activity. The morning came with its own glitters. 

When the servant came with her coffee, they messaged her palms and feet with a home made oil, sent by her mother in law. The young girl was grinning while putting the oil on saying that Urna will remember herb mehndi ceremony forever. But before Urna could ask her more, she ran away..

The ceremony started by 10am. Madhu has dressed up Urna with a peacock green silk saree with bright golden borders. Urna had not removed the chain, top and bangles of her mom, as her mother in law asked her to wear them forever from now, as a blessing for her new life from her mother. As much she sees this old lady, the much she gets stunned. How can a woman be so perfect, so flawless, so loving.

As she was about to start for the mandap, there was a small knock on the door. As Madhu opened the door, they found Jagath Ji, her father and Urna's father in law was standing there.

"Urna beta, I should tell you something, but beware it may break your heart. I had asked Krishna to search for your Uncle and Aunt and after a long search we found them. We told them all about you and asked them to join the marriage. We were even ready to pay for their travel and stay and others, but they refused. They said, they said ...." Jagath ji's eyes were shimmering with tears by now.

Urna, on the other hand, was unnaturally cool. She raised her hand to rub the tears for her father-in law's eyes. "I am dead for them Papa. I was dead for them a long time ago. I don't get hurt by any of their comments. But seeing tears in your eyes will break me. Do you want to break your daughter?"

"No dear, I was afraid how you would feel upon hearing this news", said Jagath Ji.

"I don't feel anything Papa. They are nobody to me. For a long time I held grudges against them. Your son taught me that forgiving them will be part of forgetting them. I did the same. I don't need them".

"But Urna, who will do the kanyadaan for you?" asked Madhu.

"Didi, I am a human being, not a property to be denoted by someone, to someone. Even our original Hindu Shastra doesn't have any rituals for Kanyadaan. Its all made up in the later eras", said Urna.

"Rituals are rituals, Urna. It's a village. We can't just stop a ritual suddenly here. People will speak. Perhaps a day will come, when your words will be true, but now its not the time. Uncle I am Urna's brother. If you allow, I will do Kanyadaan for my sister.", said Bhairav, who was listening to all the conversations standing outside the door.

Jagath Ji was more than happy. He put his hand on Urna's head and said, " I respect you more beta. You are really a part of Goddess Shakti. But Bhairav is also right, every ray of new light has its own time. For now, let's go. It's your Mehendi ceremony time.".

As the group reached the mandap, the other members were already there. Krishna's mother, Bhamini Devi has finished her rituals of praying their Deity to bless the mehendi, so that it can fill eternal colours to her son and daughter in law's life. Everybody was waiting for the mehendi artists to start over with the new bride..

As they all looked around, they found the main mehendi artist was missing who was about to decorate Urna's hand. Upon asking his team, it came to light that someone from the groom's family has offered him not to come as they already have a better substitute.

When Bhairav made Urna sit in the mandap and started enquiring, surprising everyone a person came and sat before Urna on the artist's cushion. Everybody was shocked to see Krishna sitting there smiling with a cone of mehendi in his hand.

"Krish beta, what are you doing here?", asked his mother in shock.

"Applying mehendi to my bride Amma. I was the one who stopped the main artist from coming. Being an artist myself, I will not allow anybody else to touch my girl for any such reasons. I am her husband, and as you said, this mehendi will fill colours in our life. So I would be the one to fill these colours in my bride's hands, not any rented person."

"Jagath ji, your son is becoming an actor nowadays, throwing crispy dialogues", said Krishna's mother laughing out loud.

Krishna started making out designs in Urna's hand, when the latter kept on looking at him with awe. Krishna was aware of the emotions being poured from her eyes. He kept on pouring his best on her hand.

After approx three hours when Krishna raised his head after finishing both the hands of Urna, he found not only Urna but nearby the half of the village's female population was towering over his head seeing in awe the designs he had made.

With so much spectators, he suddenly started feeling shy. He attempted a small smile and said to his mother, "I am done Amma. Do you like it?"

Bhamini Devi came forward and put her hands on her son's head. With teary eyes, she said, "It's beautiful beta. It's beautiful. Urna beta, try to keep the mehndi till night today. Madhu will help you in changing and she will feed you too. I bless you that your mehndi will bring the deepest colour"

By the time they wrap up for the day, Urna became uncomfortable. Krishna noted her inconvenient look and came closer to her. She looked at her and said, "I am not comfortable enough with anybody changing my clothes, please, you know!"

Her pleading eyes were enough to melt the village, Krishna was merely a human. He put his hands on her shoulder assuring her.

'Dont worry Jaan, I will help you change your clothes. And don't worry, I won't disturb you in any way. It's just today. Tomorrow, by this time you are mine forever."

"But what will you say to Didi?", asked Urna.

"Oh easy, I will just manipulate her husband, my jiju." I can manage that. Krishna said with a laugh.

__________________________________________________________________