Week 12: When We Get Caught 📸

Week 12:
When We Get Caught
~ May 14th - May 20th, 2012 ~

***MONDAY NIGHT***

I sighed, kicking off my shoes, exhausted from a long day of school and work. My cell phone pressed to my ear as I waited for Elijah to answer. I was home from work and I was calling late because Mia was wide awake when I got in and wanted to talk.

"Hey," he finally answered. It sounded gravely like there was a burden weighing on him.

"Um, hi, hon. You okay?" I asked.

"Physically? Yes," he said easily. "I just got a call from Niklaus... He said that Hayley is missing."

"Missing? Didn't you talk to her yesterday?" I frowned, confused. At the Mother's Day get together he excused himself for a phone call and when I checked on him, he was speaking to Hayley who thanked him for a mother's day gift. Less than 24 hours later she was missing? That was odd.

"I did," he confirmed. "Niklaus just called half an hour ago."

"And?" I pressed for information. He sounded odd. Like he was biting his tongue on something.

"And I'm fighting every impulse to return to New Orleans to help the search."

My brows raised. I half expected that answer. I didn't like it. But this was his family. There was nothing more important. "Is he sure she's missing? She didn't take off on her own accord?"

"I don't know, babe," he mumbled. "Niklaus doesn't think so."

"Did he call the cops?"

"They're not too enthusiastic to help," he replied. "Besides like you, the question stands if this was a voluntary leave or... a kidnapping situation. But I'm worried regardless."

I smiled softly to myself, "You're a good man. You're sweet and caring. Very compassionate. I understand that you're worried, honey... So if you feel the need to be there for your brother... I'll understand that too."

"I don't want to leave you."

"This isn't about me," I replied. "This is about your family. It's your decision to make for your peace of mind. You'll still have me whether near or far."

"It is about you," he said. "Cause you're the only thing keeping me out of New Orleans."

I smiled then, "Well, if you're asking... I don't really want you to go. Seems a bit premature."

Elijah hummed, "Fair enough."

"Is that the only thing weighing on your mind?"

"Yes," he stated. "I'm not going anywhere. My brother can handle this alone. If things seem worse, he'll call again."

"Sounds like a plan."

"A good one?"

"Mhm," I hummed. "Because I want to kiss you tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that."

"How productive, Miss Samuels."

I laughed, "Speaking of... us. I told Mia that you were my boyfriend and it went very well. Her only questions were if we shared lunches and held hands."

"You told her yes, to both, correct?" He chuckled and I rolled my eyes.

"Of course," I said. "And then she said, she was happy for me and that she really likes you."