Present

“I’m sorry, Lyra…” Vardaan said, watching her stare out of a window.
“I swore I would never tell anyone but here I am. And now feel like everyone is blaming me for these murders and you know what? I might as well be.”
“I’d find it impossible to believe you were the killer. Even if it were true. You didn’t want to kill your mother.”
“I’m sorry, I really shouldn’t burdening someone like you with my past.” She responded, fighting back tears.
“It’s okay. I’m glad you did.”
“No one ever suspected she’d been murdered. They simply assumed she’d choked and moved on. After her funeral, I was forced to choose someone to marry. I had no choice. I’ve been engaged for years, hesitating to get married as long as I can. I’m suupposed to get married to him soon but I suppose that’s going to be delayed even longer. If I even make it out of this alive.”
Vardaan looked her in the eyes, “You will. We will both make it out of this. You have my word, I’ll protect you.”
A small smile formed on her face and she wiped a tear away, “Thank you.”
Vardaan placed an arm around her back, offering comfort and she took it, leaning in. What a scandalous thing to do, being engaged. Still, she basked in the warmth of his embrace.