Mentor

A man who looks to be in his early 20s and the announcer lady walk in. Yuli's grip tightens around my hand. I squeeze it a little to reassure him. The man takes a skeptical look at us. "Zion and Yuli? I am your mentor. My name is Killan Massacre. I will be the one to keep you alive during the games." The young man says. 

I look at him with narrow eyes before turning my head away to look at Yuli. He looks as terrified as I feel. I smile softly at him. He hesitantly smiles back. "Do either of you speak?" He asks. I stay silent. 

"They need a little time to adjust, Killan." The woman says. I turn my head to them. The woman smiles. I do not smile back. "My name is Adelyn. I was the one that-" I cut her off. "Announced," I state simply, not changing my gaze. "So, she does speak," Killan says. I once again narrowed my eyes.

A slight grin tugs on one side of his mouth. "Maybe you won't die the first day." He says. "Not if I can help it," I state. Yuli squeezes my hand again. "Neither will you, Yuli," I state without turning to look at the small boy. Killan only looks back, his grin disappearing. 

A slither of sadness and pity flashes across his eyes looking at Yuli. It was gone again within moments. "Go get showered and changed. We will reach the capitol in the late morning." Killan states. I stand and Adelyn leads us to our different rooms. We stop at Yuli's first and he goes in and looks around in awe. 

Down a little ways is my own. I walk in and am in awe as well. The room is bigger than it should be on a train. Way bigger than my own at home. If only Xavier and Iris could see it. I shake my head and look around. Adelyn shuts the door and gives me privacy.

I walk into a bathroom and follow instructions set out on which buttons to press to start the shower. I follow them and hop in, warm water immediately glides over my shoulders and head. I sigh in contentment. In the district, there was only cold water. This feels so nice compared to it. 

I use some soap in the corner and wash myself. I step out and grab a towel. I wrap it around myself, soft, comfortable fabric, softer than I've ever felt. I walk out of the bathroom, my hair reaching my waist dripping wet. I go to the closet and look through the provided clothes. 

There is a knock on the door. Before I can say anything it swings open. Yuli and Killan are standing there, wide-eyed. Killan covers Yuli's eyes and reaches for the door handle. "Out! Close the door, you idiots!" I yell at the two numbskulls. Killan apologizes and closes the door.

I roll my eyes. Idiots, both of them. I pick out an outfit that I try to make a match. I chose a pair of camo pants and another black T-shirt. I find a brush and run it through my hair. Leaving it to dry. I walk out of the room and into the area we were in before. An apologetic Yuli sits, and a slightly red-faced Killan waits. 

"I'm sorry, Zion. I didn't mean to open the door without you saying to." Yuli says. "It's fine, Yuli. Just be careful next time." I say. I look to Killan to meet his eyes. "I apologize again." He says. "Yeah. It's fine." I say without much meaning. 

I go over to Yuli and take a seat beside him. "Zion? Who were those little kids from the room?" Yuli asks. I glance at him before looking down. "My little twin brother and sister. Xavier and Iris." I reply. "And that lady? Was she your mom?" He asks. I shake my head. "My mother was the one that was hanged yesterday at the tree," I reply. Only yesterday...

"The woman was Ms. Daniela. She used to train me." I reply. "What were your parents and brother's names?" I ask. "My mama's name is Kira, my papa is Luca, and my brother is Jacob. He is already 19, so he couldn't volunteer for me." He says. I nod. 

I notice a pair of eyes on me. I meet Killan's eyes. "Do you have anyone else left?" He asks with a sad tone. "No," I state simply. "Where's your papa?" Yuli asks. I look at him. "He was one of the ones hung for treason a few years ago. There were 23 of them hanging that day." I reply. 

"The biggest hang in district 11...I'm sorry for your losses." Killan says. I look at him again. For a few moments, I see the once innocent boy. The boy from District 11 never wanted to be what he is now. A boy who never wanted to be a killer or a victor. "Thanks," I say with a little more emotion.