Prep Team

The doors of the train open, and we are almost immediately engulfed in loud cheers and screams by the people of the capitol. Yuli squeezes my hand tightly as we fall behind Killan and walk in his shadow. Adelyn puts her hand on my shoulder, I jump at the unexpected action. I look at her as we continue walking. "Wave and smile. You'll need their donations." She whispers in my ear. I nod. I whisper the same to Yuli.

I hold my head up high and smile. I begin to wave lightly. I wonder if Iris, Xavier, and Ms. Daniella can see me. More cheers erupt from the crowd as Yuli and I wave and smile. We walk off the train and are taken to a private room. "You both did very well. Good job. All you have to do is what you did before and you are sure to have sponsors flooding in." Killan states when he turns to us.

"Thanks to me. You forgot to tell them." Adelyn comments in a smug-ish way. "Guess I did, Sorry about that you two." Killan states as he rolls his eyes at Adelyn. "Sorry to interrupt, you guys. But it's time for their 'clean-up'." Says a man with dyed pink hair and huge hoop earrings. "Right. I can't wait to see you both after. You'll be so beautiful and handsome!" She says giggling like a toddler. Killan scoffed. "They look fine as they are." He says.

"Yes, you'd think so wouldn't you." She says in a bosque tone. Killan just rolls his eyes again. "Come on, the both of you." Says the man with pink hair. Yuli and I follow behind him. We are escorted to two separate groups. "Boy, you go with-" I cut the man off. "His name is Yuli and mine is Zion. Not 'boy' or 'girl'." I state harshly. He looks taken aback. He clears his throat and tries again. "Yuli. You go with the green team." He points at the group with dyed green hair. 

"And, Zion. You go with the blue team." He states and points to the group with dyed blue hair. I nod. Yuli tightens around my hand. I look at him. "It'll be fine, Yuli. We'll see each other soon." I smile at him. He hesitantly lets go and walks behind the small team. I do the same. They led me to a metal table. "Here. Change into this." One says and hands me a hospital-like gown. I go to a small room and change into it.

I walk back out and to the table after I finish. I feel exposed at how little I have on while being around my 'prep team' that has thick clothing on. They pick, poke, shave, rub, brush, detangle, scrub, and violate my personal space throughout the entire process. They even tried to cut my hair off at one point, but me biting the girl holding the scissors stopped that from happening.

After they finish, they stand me in front of a mirror and show me what has been done. I looked completely different. I looked clean and freshened up. "Please follow me. You will be dressed for tonight's events." Says one of the men. I follow him back to a room, another guy already waiting for me. He's taller than me by a few inches, his hair hangs over his eyes, covering the dark color with another. "Please hurry, we do not have much time." He speaks. 

I am whisked to another table and am sat down. "My name is Spencer. I will be in charge of your wardrobe." He introduces. "Okay. What am I being dressed for?" I ask, curious. "It will be for the chariot ride tonight." He replies, fiddling with something across the room, looking suspiciously like fabric. "In a few days, the night before the games begin, you will be dressed for the interview and then that next morning dressed for the last time...by me, I mean." He explains.

"No need to be so touchy about it. What'll happen will happen." I shrug. He looks at me for a moment before grabbing p the fabric and setting it down beside me. "Put this on and call me back in once you finish." He says. He walks out of the room and closes the door. I stand from the table and hold up the dress. It is a sunflower yellow, covered in knitted designs of tan wheat, climbing up from the bottom and stopping at my waist. I slip the gown I am in off and put the dress on. I try to zip it, but am unsuccessful. 

"I am finished." I call. Spencer walks in and walks around to my back, seeming to know what I needed from him. He zips it up and tells me to give it a spin, I do. "Wonderful. You look stunning! Yellow is your color for sure." He gushes. I smile smally at the compliment. "Now only your makeup. And then all finished." He says. I nod, not really caring either way. He sits me back down and calls in the prep team. They all do something different.

By the end I am handed a mirror. They did a basic lay over with some yellow lipstick and yellow eye shadow. All I can think is that I look kind of like a banana.