Chapter 5: Rekindled Hearts

*One year later*

.

     "When did you wake up?" she mumbled, half-asleep, her eyes flicking towards me. 

The hazel-brown orbs, bathed in sunlight, revealed a mesmerizing blend of green and brown that softened my resolve. 

"It was your eyes that caught me," I confessed

     "My eyes?" she asked, shocked by my sudden admission. 

"When I stared into them, it felt like they were burning into my heart, conveying a message. It confused me how the pain of seeing you cry with those eyes could make me kneel, desperate for your forgiveness," I declared, gently caressing her cheek as I stared deeply into her hazel-brown eyes.

     "I would still love to see you kneel and beg for my forgiveness," she teased.

I laughed at her playful comment and playfully hugged her. Leaning close, I gently tickled her neck until she begged me to stop. Amidst laughter, she hid under the blanket. I stood up, to reach for my bag, revealing the notebook she had left behind in the library. 

     "That?" Shocked, she tried to snatch it away, unintentionally exposing her figure beneath the blanket.

"Another round?" I grinned, looking at her teasingly.

Embarrassed, she moved to walk away and get dressed, but I carried her back to bed.

     "Urgh, Ben, what—" I silenced her with a kiss. 

"I miss you," I confessed. 

     "You're getting clingy, Ben," she sweetly smiles as she declared. Her smile today too, can be enough to stop my heart. 

"You hate it?" I asked, a hint of worry in my voice

     "It's the opposite," she playfully declared, kissing my nose before escaping to get dressed.

She's not wrong, I found myself becoming possessive and restless in her absence. She had a soothing effect on the restlessness within me, the only one capable of putting me at peace.

As I read the pages I had written in the notebook, everything clicked. The desire to hold her for as long as possible, the comfort, the peace—I found them all beside her.

Turning to look at her, as always, I couldn't help but become captivated by her beauty. It felt like a spell, making me wish I could shield her from everyone else's gaze so that her radiance could be just mine. She had draped herself in my polo shirt, and even though it might have been a tad too big, it somehow gracefully embraced every contour of her body, adding a touch of charm to her already mesmerizing presence. 

Approaching her, I hugged her tightly from behind. "My Adeline," I whispered in her ear.

     She turned to face me, reciprocating the embrace."When I thought I lost the notebook, I feared our hard-fought love would be in vain," she sadly confessed.

My fingers threaded through her hair as she closed her eyes, savoring the gentle strokes.

"How many years do you have left before the reset?" I asked

     "A few months," she confessed, tightening her embrace. "I will lose you again?" she mumbled 

I clenched my fists at the thought of her disappearance. I feared I wouldn't find her in time before my reset, and the idea of taking the pill and losing her again haunted me.