gavin

taylor
ella: 15
rylee: 10
gavin: 6
charlotte: 2
nashville, tennessee

chapter inspired by @jeslynelsons

it's been a really long day at the kelce house.

travis had workouts and lifting almost all day today and so i was left with the kids and then ella has been out with her friends all day so i don't have her help.

travis just got home and he insisted on helping with dinner or something but i know he's sore and just wants to lay down so that's what i told him to do, so now he's in the living room sprawled out on the couch watching tv.

rylee and charlotte have been fine for the most part, it's just gavin didn't take a nap this afternoon which he always does and i think he's just over tired.

"mommy i want cookies." he whines on me while i'm trying to cook some vegetables for our dinner

"no gav, we're about to have dinner, you can have one after you eat all your dinner." i explain

"noooo." he whine hangs more on me

"i want it now!" he screams

"gavin. stop it." i say sternly but he just continues "do you want me to get your dad?" i ask

"i want a cookie now!" he whines while producing an ear piercing scream

"travis!" i yell knowing he'll come help me

"gavin!" travis yells in his deep voice back as he's coming into the kitchen. whenever travis yells like that it's like the kids automatically know to stop whatever you're doing and listen. he doesn't pull that voice out too often but when he does it's like freeze.

"you better not be crying when i get in there." he says and seconds later strides in. gavin attaches himself to my leg and gets behind me. gavin isn't afraid of his dad, he's just afraid of i think travis' voice when he gets angry because he gets really loud and his voice gets extra deep. also, all the kids know that travis is the one who really punishes, okay he's kinda the only one. i try, i really do, but it's like the second they say sorry i take everything i said back.

one time, rylee was riding her scooter in our penthouse in new york and i kept telling her to stop because it wasn't safe and she went right into the wall leaving a hole where her scooter hit. i was definitely mad and i told her to go sit in her room and i took away all her electronics. at the time, she only had an ipad. travis came home and saw everything and i explain and he was livid. he confiscated the scooter and wouldn't let get another till he finally caved and did, but like a month later. he's always the punisher in the house and the kids know that.

"oh so you don't listen to me but the second your dad gets involved you want me to protect you?" i say to gavin but he doesn't answer

"gavin, go sit in timeout. now." travis says sternly and gavin releases himself from me and goes to the timeout step at the bottom of one of the staircases. he knows he has to sit there and wait till me or travis comes and gets him out. the timeout step is something all our kids are very familiar with, except for charlotte because she doesn't do anything and rylee and ella are too old for that but they have spent their fare share of time there and gavin is on that step quite frequently now.

travis comes over to me and wraps his arms around me.

"you can't let him scream at you like that." he says and kisses my cheek