terrible twos

taylor
ella: age 2
nashville, tennessee

"mommy!" i hear ella scream from her room. she's supposed to be napping right now. the funny part is that her room isn't even close to ours really, the catwalk and stairs separate us. it's not funny really, but still i think she has my vocals or that's what travis has been saying as she's really been testing how loud she can really get.

"you're kidding." i groan and lean my head back against the headboard. trav and i are watching a show in the bedroom. he just got back from practice and i'm finally trying to respond to messages from my management team.

"i'll get her tay." travis muffles and goes to get up.

"no no. lay down and rest." i say and kinda push him back. i close my laptop and scoot off the bed

"mommy!" a screeching voice echos through the house again "jesus." i mutter as i leave the bedroom.

i reach ella's room and open the door and see her standing at her crib

"it's nap-time baby." i say and make my way over to her crib.

"mommy, out." ella pouts and puts her arms up for me to take her

"ok." i sigh and take her out and she immediately clings to me. i would usually just take her back to the bedroom with me, but i really need to get this done, so i'm going to try to get her to sleep.

"why aren't you sleeping princess?" i ask as i sit us on the big comfy rocker chair in the corner of the room.

"not sleepy." she says

"are you sure ella? why don't we try to settle down for a little bit." i say

"but i wanna play." ella tries to explain

"i know, but you gotta sleep in order to play princess." i state and give her a kiss on her forehead

"here, let's read a book." i say and we go over to her book shelf and i let her pick one.

we sit back down on her chair and i place ella on my lap and we read her. she gets quieter and more sleepy towards the end of the book. we close it and i put it on the side table. ella puts her head back resting against my chest.

"my sweet girl." i mutter and kiss her head. i turn her so she is laying in the cradling position and i see to her. i love to sing never grow up. even though i wrote that song for myself but once i had ella it quickly became about her.

soon enough my little girl was asleep in my arms. i knew she was tired.

i stand us up and place her in the crib. she'll need to upgrade soon to a big girl bed, but we're waiting till she's absolutely ready for that.

i pull her blanket up over her and run my thumb over her cheek.

"sweet dreams baby." i mumble and leave her room and go back to travis

he's propped up on the headboard and has his arm behind his head

"is she asleep?" he asks

"yeah."

i say and crawl back in bed.

"tay come here." trav says and puts his arm out

"trav i need to get this done." i tell him and reach for my computer on the nightstand, but before i reach it travis pulls my arm and i fling over to him making me laugh.

"ok a few minutes." i say and nestle myself under his arm

i lay there for a bit as he runs his fingers through my head and down my arms

"what should we do the rest of the day?" travis asks

"i don't know, but i'm tired of being cooped up in here." i explain as i continue to look at the tv. i dont think i've left the house in almost four days.

"it just gets annoying sometimes how i feel like i can't go out and do normal things." i say

"well why don't we go do something normal? how about we go to the grocery store instead of sending someone to do it. well bring security but i don't know i think it'll be fun." travis say. it honestly does sound fun to do something normal.

when ella woke up, which unfortunately wasn't long, travis got her dressed as i got ready and was on our way. we took the rolls royce and security was behind us

"almost there?" ella whines from the back and i can hear her kicking her legs all over. she did not nap long enough

"yes el, almost. and don't kick your feet at daddy's car" travis says.

"i'm bored." she whines again and keeps kicking but this time my seat thats in front of her. i know she is deliberately reaching up to kick my seat as it's not in her reach

"ella. what did i just say? no kicking." he say more sternly

i can just sense that my temper will be short with her today, all morning she was just screaming and refusing to listen to me and i was hoping a nap would fix that, but no.

a few minutes later we arrive at the grocery store. this is my favorite one, it's all organic and clean foods. travis gets annoyed when he can't find his sugar cereal and shit though. he likes to argue that peanut butter cocoa puffs fed him right to the nfl, but i remind him that it could also feed you right to a heart attack and that ella can't eat like that all the time.

travis puts ella in the cart and we walk through the store. security close by of course. it's also the middle of the day on a wednesday so it's relevantly empty anyways. it's mainly older adults here.

we start with fruits and veggies, the most important and we go kinda go crazy. i haven't been grocery shopping in years and this is so fun.

travis insists we go down the candy isle next so he can get a treat.

"you can get one treat ella." travis tells her and she gets  excited. she picks out a bag of organic gummy bears. i mean all the candy is organic which is good.

"i want those too!" ella reaches over and snatches a bag of chocolates

"ella c'mon we said one thing. it's one or the other." i explain

"no." she pouts and throws the chocolate onto the floor making it slide across the wood.

"ella marjorie." travis scolds angrily at her and appears as which he is about to explode out of ella's behavior but also i know he doesn't want to make headlines for the misbehavior of our child.

i see ella's eye brim with tears and her lip start to quiver. in a matter of seconds she bursts into tears hurting my mommy heart.

"i'm sorry daddy." ella cries softly after she catches her breath. she's wiping her eyes with her hands. i honestly just know she's tired and didn't mean her outburst.

"come her baby." i say and lift her out of the car and she clings to me and cries in my neck

i look at travis and i can tell the big guy feels bad for getting mad but i understand why he did.

we stand there for a couple moments as i try to console her.

"daddy mad?" ella asks as she lifts herself from my neck as looks at travis with puffy red eyes

"no ella, i could never be mad at you princess. you just can't throw things or talk back especially while we're in public." travis explains softly to his daughter. ella reaches for him so he takes her and she cuddles into him.

the rest of the trip goes great and we leave to go home. god help us with these terrible twos