ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ

• Day 1 of the 73rd Hunger Games

Delaney never liked watching the games, so when the 73rd Hunger Games began, she made sure to sneak her way out of watching it. While it was a hard task to do, the girl had learned at an early age how to get around her father without making a noise.

Quickly, the girl closed the door behind her before running toward the dam, weaving through buildings and utility poles. For the last seven years since her mother's death, the girl had made it her mission to find a way onto the dam without any peacekeepers, or workers seeing her. And only the year prior had she found out how.

So, quickly she made her way to the top of the dam, looking over at the Capitol where President Snow was no doubt staring at his holographic screen with a smirk. Watching as the chaos he created continues.

The thought made her face contort into a scowl, had he never created the games maybe her father wouldn't be as demanding. Maybe she could have grown up like other kids, learning in school and playing games at recess. But no, she had to train. Train for the same thing that haunted her dreams at night.

Suddenly, Delaney's heart sped up as she heard a footstep further down to her right. Quickly, her head moved to the side as she dropped to the ground, hoping whoever was there wouldn't see her.

Suddenly she watched as curly dark hair peaked over the ledge, "Who's there?" A deeper voice asked.

"Nobody," the word slipped out of Delaney's mouth before she could stop it, causing her to close her eyes tightly.

"I think saying nobody kind of defeats the purpose of keeping it secret," a male said, his face finally visible as he pulled himself onto the dam.

Seeing his face, Delaney's eyes widened. She'd expected to see many faces, but President Snow's grandson definitely wasn't one of them.

"Now I'm in for it," the girl groaned, laying face down on the roof causing the boy to chuckle.

"I'm not going to tell anyone if that's what you think," he said, causing Delaney to lift her head with a suspicious look on her face.

"Why should I believe you?" She wondered aloud.

"Because, I'm up here looking for a way out. So, if you don't tell, neither will I," he said, sitting in front of her, his head turned to the right as he looked at District Five.

Slowly pushing herself up, Delaney sat criss-cross in front of him, her brows furrowed as she analyzed his relaxed posture. "Find a way out?" She finally spoke.

"You know, a way out of Panem," he looked at the girl, noticing how her eyes widened.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but why do you want to leave? I mean, I'd understand why someone from a district would want to leave, but you're the president's grandson," Delaney frowned.

"It's not everything you'd think it is," he said, and Delaney noticed the way his eyes flickered toward the Capitol.

"Well, I'm Delaney," the girl diverted the conversation and held her hand out.

Looking down at her hand, the boy pursed his lips before he raised an eyebrow and looked back at her.

"Well come on, I know people in the Capitol know what a handshake is, don't they?" Delaney raised her eyebrows, shaking her hand in front of him.

Laughing slightly, he nodded and grabbed her hand, "I'm Liam."

Moving their hands up and down, Delaney smiled. She didn't have many friends back in District Five other than her friend Finch Crossly, but even she'd gotten too busy when her mother randomly got sick.

It was nice to talk to someone else.

Dropping Liam's hand, Delaney turned her head to look at the Capitol, "Let me know if you find a way." She said suddenly, causing Liam to furrow his brows.

"What?"

Before speaking, Delaney looked back at him, " Let me know if you find a way out of here. We'll get out together, that way you won't have to be on the run alone."

As Delaney looked away, Liam felt a small smile form on his face. His eyes scanning her face as she stared at the Capitol.

He'd just met the girl, but already he knew this wouldn't be the last time they'd meet on the top of the dam.

• Day 14 of the 73rd Hunger Games

Pulling herself onto the roof of the dam, Delaney smiled at the boy sitting further down, his back to her.

"Wow, I'm usually the first one here," Delaney said, walking toward him with a smile, only for it to drop when she heard him sniffle. "Hey, what's wrong?" She asked, quickly dropping down beside him with a worried look.

Moving to sit on her knees Delaney placed a hand on his shoulder, causing him to look over. His eyes were bloodshot and his nose was red slightly causing Delaney to wrap her arms around his shoulders.

"Hey. Hey, what's going on?" Delaney asked as Liam's arms wrapped around her waist. "Liam what happened, talk to me please," Delaney pleaded, pulling away from him slightly to look at his face.

"Is it my fault?" Liam asked, his voice scratchy as he dropped his hands into his lap.

"Is what your fault?" Delaney asked softly, moving slightly to where her right knee was pulled up to her chest.

"The games, could I do something more to stop them?" Liam asked, avoiding eye contact with Delaney.

The two had been meeting up on the dam for the past fourteen days, but Delaney had never imagined that Liam felt like the games were his fault. The realization that he'd no doubt been thinking about this forever made Delaney made at herself for not noticing sooner.

"Of course not," Delaney grabbed his hand, causing him to look up. "Liam if you tried anything, no matter if Snow is your grandfather or not, you'd die. Something will happen someday, and you have to make sure you're here to see it. Whether it's 5 years or 60 years from now something will happen that will stop the games. With the hold Snow has over Panem, there's nothing you could do," Delaney frowned. "Plus it doesn't help that too many people love the games, which is honestly concerning if you ask me," Delaney attempted to lighten the mood, her eyes lighting up when she heard a teary laugh come from Liam.