Chapter 5: Uniforms Are the Worst

TRIGGER WARNINGS: NONE

CWs: NONE

I woke up the next morning to Winnie gently shaking me. My eyes flew open.

"Thank goodness you're awake! Come on, sleepyhead. By the way, you're going to be fitted for your uniform today right after breakfast."

"What time is it?" I mumbled, thankfully remembering my accent.

"Six in the morning. Why?"

I leaped out of bed, suddenly wide awake. "WHAT?!" I double-checked my watch to confirm the time.

"I woke you up early so you could shower. You smell, you know," she pointed out, a grin plastered on her face. "Now, into the shower you go."

She playfully pushed me toward the bathroom.

Ten minutes later, I pulled on my red t-shirt and jeans from last night and emerged from the bathroom.

Winnie feigned disapproval. "Really now, Nadia, did you have to wear the same clothes from last night?"

"Yes," I snapped. "I've been living on the streets for six years. It's not like I could've changed or showered, y'know."

"I know. I was just teasing."

I blushed.

In a few minutes, Winnie had pulled her blond waves into a perfectly styled braid tied off with a light blue ribbon. In the meantime, I'd successfully managed to detangle my hair and make a decent ponytail. After this, we marched off to breakfast.

Once I was seated at the table, Winnie ran off to chat with Amiyah Richards. I didn't blame her. She knew all these kids. Me? I was the new kid. The American who wasn't even supposed to be here. I sank deeper into my chair, letting my mind wander. Suddenly a cheery voice broke my thoughts. It was Hallie Collins.

"Good morning, Nadia!"

I returned the greeting after I realized I was Nadia. "Oh, morning, Hallie."

"I noticed your roommate abandoned you. Don't take it personally. Amiyah and Winnie are very good friends, you see, and, well, they just have to be together." She shrugged. "How's being Winnie's roommate like, by the way?"

"Winnie's pretty cool." I snorted with laughter as I realized my unintended pun. "The pun wasn't intended, by the way. I'm pretty sure we're the exact opposite, though. She's tidy and organized; I'm messy and disorganized. She's a Cryokinetic; I'm a Pyrokinetic. But she is a pretty good roommate."

During this, Hallie hadn't uttered a word. She seemed to be intensely listening. At last, she spoke.

"Nadia, why don't we move somewhere a little more private? I've got a feeling things aren't what they seem."

"But breakfast is in, like, five minutes!" I protested. "And then I'm getting fitted for my uniform."

"Nadia, come on. Just say yes."

"Fine. I'll go," I reluctantly agreed.

As soon as those words had left my lips, she grabbed my hand and dragged me off to a secluded corner. "Alright, this ought to be fine. I want to know everything."

I panicked. "W-wha?"

"Well, one, you're not English, two, you seemed slightly confused at first when I called you 'Nadia'...need I continue?"

Should I tell her? Should I—can I—trust her? How will I know she won't tell Lady Folman?

"I asked a question, Nadia," Hallie pointed out. "That means you have to answer."