Chapter 6: The Training Battle

TWs: NONE

CWs: NONE

AN: Yes, Toby has a Cockney accent. Yes, I had too much fun writing it in.

Just as Hallie and I settled ourselves in the dining room, Lady Folman stepped up to speak.

"Children, we are about to begin our annual training match. You will be split up into two teams consisting of an equal number of participants. Your objective is to conquer the opposing team's base. Abilities shall be permitted. There is to be no serious damage inflicted upon your opponents.

"Team One shall consist of Alyssa Picket, Archer Wells, Vanessa Cooke, Hunter, and Amiyah Richards. The members of Team Two shall be Toby Fisher, Leanna Blackwell, Aidan Gray, Hallie Collins, Winifred Jones, and Nadia Blair."

We all scurried outside into the yard to meet our respective teams. Suddenly, all the children, including timid Leanna Blackwell, seemed to change. Bodies stood taller, cheerful smiles became determined looks, and a mature fierceness glowed in young eyes. We soon appointed Aidan as team captain.

Lady Folman's voice rang out among the excited chatter. "Now, children, you may select your weapon."

Agatha and Maggie appeared with an assortment of weapons. I panicked slightly. Years of living on the streets had greatly increased my arm strength and taught me how to be pretty handy with a pocket knife—and my fists. But I could spy no pocket knife. And everyone was choosing weapons. After some time, I'd decided to cast my lot in with a knife or dagger when I noticed a sword. Its hilt was made of pure gold. Rubies adorned the pommel. I ran my fingers against the shining hilt, admiring it. But what caught my eye the most was the emblem of a flame on the crossguard, joining the hilt with the polished steel blade. I reverently picked it up. It was surprisingly light. I headed back to my teammates. They all stared as if they'd never seen a sword before. Finally, Aidan was the first to speak.

"Nadia, just out of curiosity, have you ever wielded a sword before?"

"No, I've fought with a pocket knife before, but never with a sword. I'm sure I can figure it out, though. Why, Aidan?" I replied in my accent.

"Because things can get a little intense. To be able to carry your majestic blade, you are going to first need to learn how to fight with it. Would you like me to teach you the basics?"

"Yes, please!"

While the others grabbed their weapons of choice, Aidan patiently explained and then demonstrated the basics of sword fighting. After a short time, I was proudly brandishing my blade.

"I shall name you 'Firebrand,'" I whispered.

In a few minutes, we were ready. Lady Folman beckoned for Agatha to approach the front.

"Alright, everyone!" Agatha announced. "I hope you all are ready because the time has come to determine who shall win the Thirteenth Annual Training Match! Team One, your base will be by the oaks to my left. Team Two, your base will be by the rosebushes to my right. You have one minute to find your starting positions. First team to conquer your opponents' base wins!"

At those words, everyone scrambled off to their positions.

"Nadia, you'll guard base," Aidan commanded. "Leah, you will help out Nadia. Hallie, you'll serve on lookout duty. Winnie and I will be scouts. Toby, you'll come with us."

I gripped Firebrand tighter and assumed a fighting stance. As soon as the minute was up, Leah and I prepared ourselves while Hallie swung herself up onto a branch of one of the massive oaks to keep watch.

Soon she warned, "They're coming!"

I clutched my sword even tighter. It was Alyssa and Hunter. Right then, I knew we were no match for the two teenagers, but I did know that I'd fight till I could fight no more. I charged to meet them. I wouldn't let my teammates, especially little Leah, get hurt at all costs. Alyssa noticed me and rushed towards me, dagger in hand. Our eyes locked. Then I struck first. The air soon resounded with the clash of metal. After what seemed like an eternity, I executed a disarming maneuver Aidan had taught me on Alyssa. Her dagger clattered to the ground.

"You're comin' with me now, Alyssa," I told her, dragging her off to base. "You're a prisoner."

I then took down Hunter, who didn't seem to know much about sparring. Well, I didn't either, but at least I could fight. But Team One was prepared. Archer Wells had snuck up to Team Two's base.

"Leah!" I cried.

Heedlessly, I charged towards my base. I couldn't let Leanna Blackwell—who was only seven—get clobbered by the seventeen-year-old Electrokinetic. Without my realizing it, my hands burst into flames as I ran, waving Firebrand threateningly. I must've been a fearsome sight as I bolted towards the attacker, hands ablaze. With a wild yell, I reached the older boy. He held no weapon, for his power was his weapon.

"Don't even touch her!" I frantically screamed.

Hallie looked frightened. "Arwen, no!"

I halted. "You—you called me 'Arwen'."

"Arwen? Who's she?" asked Archer, momentarily stunned.

"Nobody in particular," I replied.

"Alright, Nadia, as you can clearly see, I have no weapon. How about we duel with powers? First to inflict a wound wins."

"Challenge accepted."

I heard Leah squeak and watched her disappear. Hallie covered her eyes. I looked down and noticed my hands were engulfed in flames. I set down my sword, which had somehow not melted.

"Ladies first?"

"Sure."

We circled each other before I attempted my first attack. Archer quickly formed a shield of electricity. Then he advanced, only to be warded off by a wall of flame. We took turns making minor attacks. I suddenly lashed out, catching him off-guard. The result? A nasty second-degree burn. I gasped, coming to my senses.

"I'm sorry, Archer! Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," he insisted. "Fair's fair."

"I know, but I burned you."

"I'll be fine."

Just then, Winnie, Aidan, and Toby returned.

"Victory?" I panted.

"Yes!" Winnie answered. "Nadia, are you alright? You're bleeding!"

I reached up towards my face, touching the place where Alyssa had cut me during our battle. I felt the sticky, metallic-smelling liquid I knew to be blood.

"Oh, this? I'll be okay. Alyssa just gave me a present during our duel, that's all."

"Yer gonna 'ave a nasty scar there on yer face, Nadia," Toby commented, his accent slipping in more noticeably.

I laughed and ran off to join the rest of the kids for lunch, stopping to pick up Firebrand.