Five | Good News

•✦─Summer, 1945─✦•Sally Jean, age 7

─Summer, 1945─
Sally Jean, age 7

It wasn't often that Jory spent time with just Clyde and Sally Jean, but when he did, Sally Jean tried to savor the rare occasion, even though she wasn't sure if she liked it or not.

Being around Jory made her feel funny. Her face would grow red hot and her stomach would tickle.

Her stomach tickled a lot when Jory took it upon himself to teach her how to ride a horse one day.

Sally Jean sat in front of Jory on his beloved Zip, his arms encircling her as he showed her how to properly hold the reins.

"Quit holdin' it like that! I just showed you what to do!" Jory yelled at her.

Sally Jean giggled to herself, sticking out her fingers to tease him as he tried to position her hand just right, pushing one of her fingers down just for another to pop up. She liked to mess with him like that. It made her feel better about her red face and fluttering stomach.

"Fine! I'm not gon' teach you no more if you keep doin' that!" Jory threatened.

Sally Jean quickly corrected her hand placement.

"Good, now I can show you how to steer a horse."

Jory rambled on with his teachings, Sally Jean catching on fast, but she started to fall back into her old ways each time she felt herself enjoying Joey's presence too much.

Eventually, Jory got fed up with Sally Jean's antics, taking the reins and pulling Zip to a stop when she tried spinning the horse in circles after he told her to stop several times.

Jory hopped down from the saddle, reaching up to pull Sally Jean off next.

"That's it," he said sternly, setting her on the ground. "I'm done. I'm not gon' teach you anymore."

"What? No! I'll stop pickin' with you, I promise," Sally Jean told him.

"No. I'm serious, Sally Jean. I'm not teachin' you anything else."

Sally Jean frowned. "That's not fair. I said I'd stop."

"Too late." Jory took the reins to walk Zip over to where Clyde was doling out meal scraps in the chicken coop.

Sally Jean walked beside him. "You're bein' a big ole meanie."

"That's 'cause you were being one first."