Fifteen | Candle Wishes

•✦─Spring, 1956─✦•Jean, age 18

─Spring, 1956─
Jean, age 18

Jean's first birthday gift was bestowed upon her by God, when her birthday fell on the day before Easter, which meant that Jory would be in town to see her turn eighteen.

Her second birthday gift was given to her by Mrs. Mayberry when the woman gave Jean $5 to get whatever fabric she wanted from the sewing supplies store downtown.

Paulie took her that Friday, zooming down the streets in his old pickup he'd bought from one of the ranch hands.

Jean liked riding with Paulie. He drove fast and recklessly and made it fun. With him, they flew over bumps and drifted on curves, Jean holding on for dear life as she squealed with laughter.

Paulie had always been the fun brother, the carefree one—just as wild as the crazy mop of curls he refused to cut on his head.

He had also slowly become her new best friend, taking Clyde's spot. She'd been trying to distance herself from Clyde—thought it was what was best to stop his feelings for her.

All she wanted was for them to stop so that the two of them could go back to normal. She wanted to be able to hug him without him thinking too much about it, to talk to him about boys and relationships without him getting upset.

She wanted a lot but didn't think she would get it anytime soon.

"So, Pipsqueak, you excited about Jory comin' in tonight?" Paulie asked, glancing at her with a knowing smile.

He knew as well as she did that she had a crush on Jory, and liked to poke fun at her about it. She, of course, always tried to play a fool when he teased her.

"Why would I be?"

"Oh, come on, girl, you know I ain't that stupid."

"Well, you can't be all that smart, either. Insinuating things like you're doin'."

He chuckled. "You know what I know."

"I know what you think you know."

"Watch out, now. Your face is gettin' all red." He tried to poke a finger at her cheek, but Jean turned away.

"Is not."

"Is to!"

"I should've had Rudy take me instead of you."

"Aw, Pipsqueak, don't go gettin' all mad at me," Paulie said with an amused smile, "I'm just teasin' you."

"Well, you better stop it 'fore I whack you upside the head."