Chapter 1.1: Sleepless

Ragatha awoke several hours before the digital simulation of nighttime ended. She lay in bed, her fabric body laying heavy in her bed - unable to do anything. Unable to sleep. Unable to get out of bed, only to stare at the ceiling and think and think and think in circles that got tighter and tighter, almost suffocating her.
It was getting bad again.

Ragatha had fallen into a similar state maybe once or twice during her forced stay in the digital circus. Although she couldn't remember anything, she even had a feeling this kind of thing had been a problem even before that, in her old life. Either way, it was dangerous to feel like that here. Abstraction was a threat looming over them constantly, like a dark cloud on the horizon. Since Kaufmo fell victim to it, it got even worse: She was close to Kaufmo, they were amicable companions, maybe even friends.

On the other hand, the option of- let's just called it a quick exit -was always there too, like ants running over the seams on her wrists. Although this was more unclear - since she technically wasn't alive in the classic sense, she wouldn't even know if she could be killed. Or maybe a mentally extreme situation like that one lead to abstraction too. She didn't know, and she couldn't. If there was any possibility to have her not find that out, she would take that.

And if it wasn't being abstracted or unaliving herself, what was the alternative? Staying in the circus? Forever going on wacky but ultimately meaningless adventures? Running through arrays and patterns of saturated colors forever?
Forever
Forever
Forever.