(I Just Wanna Sing) With You Tonight

"I need freedom now, in this beautiful and mysterious world."

– Tsunku
I'm A Lady Now!

Sometime in the forgotten, distant past...

Liu Kang's new era brought many changes; the biggest being his new and very much unwanted godhood. Seeing familiar names with unfamiliar faces took a long time to get used to. He found much comfort in one constant: the sound of a bird. He listened to their cries each morning, sometimes accompanied by his friend Geras, or by a nice cup of tea.

Today he finds himself in an unfamiliar place, walking in a field of trees and enjoying whatever songs the birds decided to sing. It clears the mind and allows him to have a moment of relaxation from his ever so tiring job as Earthrealm's Protector.

It's faint, gradual, the new song Liu Kang hears. Contrasting to the birds' out of key cries, the voice is soft and tiny; qualities he'd give to the voice of a child. The song is beautiful and Liu Kang is surprised to realize it's one he's never heard of before. His legs move slowly so as to not interrupt the song and the person who's singing it. Soon, he approaches you, the small child singing.

"You sing a beautiful song," he starts, smiling apologetically when you jump, startled. "I can't say I've ever heard it."

You're silent, unsure of what to say, if you should say anything at all. Liu Kang speaks again in an attempt to ease your nerves.

"I'd surely remember a face as distinct as yours. You seem out of place. Are you lost?"

You shake your head and continue to stare at him. Liu Kang takes in your appearance: dirty, tattered and torn clothes; a frown that makes his heart hurt. He decides to ask another question in hopes you'll finally answer him.

"I do hope your parents are around. You should not be out here alone-"

"I don't have any." You interject. You stand and dust off your clothes before turning around and walking away. Not wanting a child walking off alone, Liu Kang calls out after you, a rare moment where he speaks before thinking.

"I know a place where you can find refuge, away from the chill of the outside. Warm meals, a shelter, and even clothes are waiting. You're welcome to join me." He extends a kind hand out to you and gives a faint smile. "Forgive me, I've gotten too far ahead of myself. I am Liu Kang, may I have your name?"

You're silent for a few moments more but you do eventually say your name. The strange man in front of you repeats it, testing your name out on his tongue. You finally take his hand. Walking off into the distance with a stranger isn't smart, but you didn't have anything better to do.

So, thus began your relationship with Liu Kang, raised by him and the monks at the Wu Shi. You were trained under many watchful eyes, conditioned to become the best possible warrior. Your proximity to Liu Kang could prove deadly should the wrong person discover your existence - he had to make sure you could defend yourself. It wasn't long before he learned you weren't an average child. It took hundreds of years for you to resemble a teenager, hundreds more to reach adulthood. You obviously were not of Earthrealm, yet when asked (questions which forced him to reveal his godhood), you had no knowledge of other realms like Outworld. You were brought to Outworld once and only once; for a Mortal Kombat tournament. He kept you hidden with only Empress Sindel knowing who you were.

Outworld was beautiful, its vibrant colors having an almost psychedelic effect on the brain. It made you feel at home. You suffered through the heartbreak of outliving any friends you made over the years. But Outworld was a place where aging slowed, you felt much more comfortable forming friendships with its residents. It was frustrating how Liu Kang would never let you go. It is far too dangerous to let you go alone, and I prefer you stay in Earthrealm were his favorite excuses. It was the main source of tension in your otherwise peaceful father-child relationship.

"I don't understand why I can't visit - just this once!" You remember saying to him. Liu Kang was nursing a cup of tea in his hand. He lets out a barely audible sigh and turns to you, white eyes boring into your skull.

"I have my reasons for not wanting you in Outworld. I truly wish you would understand that my answer is no."

"Name one."

Another sigh. "Beloved," - a nickname he grew to love calling you - "I've faced the dangers of Outworld firsthand—the treacherous landscapes, the dark forces that lurk within. I wish to shield you from the perils I've known, the violence that stains its soil, and the political quagmire that engulfs the realm. It's not just my wish; it's my duty as your guardian to ensure you're spared from the harsh realities of a world that I know too well."

You roll your eyes and huff. "I think you're exaggerating. Sun Do was so beautiful and the festival was lovely. Aside from a small pool, everyone was friendly. What perils do they face?"

"Your eyes have only seen the festival that preceded the tournament. While Outworld has seen a golden age under Empress Sindel's rule, it does not mean the realm is danger-free." He does have a point, you have never seen a normal day in Sun Do, but you refuse to back down. You can twist it into furthering your own point.

"You're right, so allow me to visit Outworld so I can see a normal day. You taught me to defend myself! I'll be fine." Liu Kang opens his mouth to respond but you interrupt him. "Besides, I am an adult. I only ask your permission because I cannot open a portal myself...please, I'm begging."

As silence envelops both of you, he meets your gaze. There's nothing left for you to say; you simply hope he'll give in.

And he does.

"I will send you to Sun Do and you will head straight to the palace to greet the Empress. Wherever you go, I will make sure you're accompanied by guards. "You visit for a few hours, then you come back to me."

Your eyes widen and you have to stop yourself from screeching in delight. You hold your composure as best as you can and smile. You hug Liu Kang tight and he returns your embrace. He rubs your back and frowns, though you can't see. You mumble something but he chooses not to hear; too occupied in his own thoughts.

"My child, just what am I going to do with you?"