Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

"I'll see you home."

Of course he would. He was that kind of guy. But Chelsea didn't argue, her leg ached. Hell, her whole body ached. Besides, she wanted to call him on it.

She was silent for the cab ride home. Still said nothing once they got to the building.

He got out on her floor of course. Seeing her safely to her door. She unlocked and opened it and then turned to face him.

"You got Logan to find me a space."

It was almost three in the morning, she was tired and seriously grumpy.

He looked at her for a moment then glanced away. "Bloody Hunter," he muttered.

"I didn't want your help," she said.

He swiftly moved--taking five paces forward so she had to retreat. He slammed the door behind him.

"I watched my mother bust her butt for years trying to get us ahead and I'm damned if I'm going to sit by and watch anyone work their fingers to the bone if there's something I can do to help them out," he growled.

Just like that he snuffed her anger. Suddenly she felt sorry. "I didn't know that about your mother." She'd known there had to be reasons why he worked so hard, why he'd liked to be the lifeguard. His mom had needed help? Of course--if his father had been that awful. Horrible suspicions entered her mind and she looked at him. Waited. Wanted him to speak more.

His shoulders lifted but he didn't say anything else. Her frustration resurged.

"I didn't need that kind of help, Xander," she said, pride surging again. "Not that 'secret angel' kind of thing. It makes me feel like I can't do anything on my own. People have been helping me so much these last couple of years. For once I wanted to be the one to achieve things, to lead. Without the secret 'let's help out the hurt girl' stuff."

"It wasn't like that," he grumped, every bit as frustrated. "Logan would never have gotten onboard if he wasn't interested in the idea. He wouldn't have done this just because I asked the favor. If it didn't have its own merit, he'd have walked away without a second glance."

"Really?" It seemed to her those guys had a pretty tight bond. That they'd back each other to the wall if necessary.

He inhaled deeply. "Well, he'd have tried to come up with another alternative. He wouldn't have put it smack bang in the middle of his biggest partnership." He looked at her. "And you have led this Chelsea. It's all your idea, your effort. Hell, you're the one who grew those plants from seed. And it's brilliant. It looks bloody brilliant. And the damn pizza is delicious." He held his hands out wide in an uncomprehending gesture. "You hate people helping you so much?"

"Only because I've had so much of it, it makes me feel useless," she said sadly. "I know that makes me sound ungrateful and I'm not really. But I just wanted that one thing to be mostly me." She shook her head. "But how do you think I got to stay in this apartment block?" She turned away from him. "It doesn't matter. I didn't do any of this on my own. Those guys built the foundation platform, Steve and Luisa did so much. So did you."

"Don't go thinking that having people help you lessens you in any way. Everybody has help. Nobody does things in total isolation. It doesn't make this any less yours, or any less your success."

She turned back. "Don't you do everything in isolation? Aren't you a total Superman--all capable all on your own?"

"No." He stomped across the room. "I have an amazing PA. She organizes everything. I have a great team working for me. And I have my buddies."