Chapter 2 - Help You Help Me

Two weeks later I'm sitting in the classroom doing my potions exam and it's going flawlessly. I am pretty sure, my potion is going to be unbeatable. The task is to make a wiggle potion, which makes wounds heal temporarily. Can be fatal if done wrong. But me? I am mastering it.

For some reason after class, my eyes wander over to the blonde boy. Not that I expected him to talk to me again after the last time I encountered him in the hall after my lesson with the headmaster, but I can't deny the disappointment I'm feeling. I am still stunned about how casual he was acting. Like he has actual real feelings and isn't just a mean bully with a brilliant mind. After the break, all of us go back to the classroom and I take my seat next to Luna again.

"He's being weird, right? I was in the dungeons a bit early to discuss my presentation with Blaise, and Draco nodded in my direction. Like I am one of his acquaintances."  Luna says confused next to me, preparing some ingredients for a new potion we are going to learn to brew. 

Draco was a distant cousin of hers, but her family had absolutely nothing to do with the Malfoy's anymore. Especially after the first war, after her family decided to fight against Voldemort.

"He is, isn't he? I thought I was the only one who noticed. Not that I'm focused on Malfoy or anything...I just, I don't know. I bumped into him a few weeks back and he was all teasing and friendly."

"Friendly even?" Luna asked shocked.

We never really were victims of his hate crimes like the other houses, but she knew him just like I did and everyone who is not a Slytherin or used to be one will never describe him as friendly.

"Yeah, can you believe it? Usually, he doesn't speak much as you know, but two weeks ago he was having a full conversation with me. I was so stunned after he left, didn't even tell you"  I explain.

We keep working on the new potion, while Professor Snape asks a few questions, testing the class.

"Today's lesson will test your understanding of advanced potion-making. Can anyone in the class enlighten us on the Draconis Essence Elixir, its brewing techniques, and potential applications?"

Hermione raises her hand.

"Well, I was embarrassed, sorry. I mean I was speechless because of a Malfoy. That's ridiculous, right?"  I say to Luna, ignoring Snapes question, even though I know the answer. 

In this particular class, I let Hermione fight her battles against Malfoy.

"Professor, I believe the Draconis Essence Elixir involves the extraction and purification of essence from magical dragon scales. When successfully brewed, it enhances magical capabilities and provides temporary immunity to specific hexes and curses. The essence must be collected under specific lunar phases, and the brewing process demands precise temperature control and advanced stirring techniques."  Hermione answers after Professor Snape gives her permission.

"Very well, Granger. Five points to Gryffindor. Now, anyone else want to add anything?"  he asks.

I, still not completely accustomed to raising hands since that is not a thing in the US, confidently add, "The Draconis Essence Elixir is indeed a complex potion, involving precise techniques to extract and purify essence from magical dragon scales. The result enhances magical abilities and provides a temporary shield against hexes and curses. The collection of dragon scales requires specific lunar phases, and the brewing process demands meticulous temperature control and stirring techniques."

Snape looks at me bored and somewhat with a trace of anger.

"Miss Jean, I am not running a discussion forum. Do try to remember you are not in America anymore. This is Hogwarts. We expect proper behavior and adherence to our traditions. Nevertheless, your description is adequate. So I won't take any points from Ravenclaw for misbehavior. Now, silence in my classroom."