Chapter 11

Later that night in Christine's room, Christine is staring at the mask until suddenly she hears the door opening. Raoul pops his head out with a bouquet of flowers and says, "Hello Christine." Christine turns her head and smiles. "Hello, Raoul. How are you?" she asks. Raoul walks towards a table, puts the flowers in a vase and turns around. "Oh, I'm alright. Just a little tired," he sighs from exhaustion. Raoul smiles and walks towards her to sit down and relax.

"Well how was your trip?" she asked.

"It went well. But I'm glad to be back with my lovely fiancé," he sighs as he gets comfortable in his chair. Christine blushes and says with a smile on her face, "Oh Raoul." Raoul smiles back and leans towards her to take her hand and holds it. "I mean it. But anyway how was everything going while I was away," he asks.

"It was good. My Uncle Gabriel and my cousin Charlotte came to visit today. Along with Charlotte's fiancé Alexander," she replied with excitement,

"That's good. It was ten years since you saw them last time, right?" he inquired.

"Yes, it has," she replied. Christine looks away as she thinks back at the memories they shared with her family as well as his family. "I'm so glad I saw them today. It reminded me of when we were children, and we would play when my cousin and I came to visit you and your family," she stated. Raoul gives a small grin and looks down as he also recalls the memories he shared with her family. He sighed and said, "Yes, I remember. We would always get into trouble when my father would see us doing something wrong."

"Yes and your mother would sometimes cover for us because she knew we were just children," she laughed. Raoul chuckled as well. "Yes. She was good at that," he recalled. He sighs as he remembers how much he misses his mother. "Raoul. I'm sorry about your mother. She was truly a wonderful woman. And I'm sorry to bring up memories of her," Christine apologizes.

"No, it's alright. She may be gone now, but I know that I will see her again when I die when God's will says so," he says with positivity and optimism. "Besides she would want me to be happy and cherish the memories that I had with her."

"That is true. My father would want me to do the same," she said.

"Speaking of fathers. I got a letter from my father saying that he is coming to visit soon," he said with a smile on his face as he leans closer to her. Christine feels a little nervous that his father is coming to visit them; not knowing he his father had been since Raoul's mother died. "Really why?" she asks with a slightly scared but curious tone in her voice. "Well he wants to see my beautiful fiancé, and we are going to have our engagement party next week," he said. Christine pupils expand; to which Raoul has a feeling from the look in his eyes that Christine had possibly forgotten about their engagement party.

"You do remember that the engagement party is next week don't you?" Raoul asked with a concerned tone in his voice.

"Of course I remembered. That would be silly of me to forget my own engagement party," Christine replied.

"Good. For a minute I almost thought you had forgotten about it. But I could never imagine you to forget things. Let alone lie to me," Raoul said. She takes his hands. "Of course. I love you too much ever even to think to lie to you," she said as she skooches closer to him and kisses him.

"Anyway, I will let you get back to what you were doing. I'm going to unpack and go to the library to work on somethings," Raoul said as he stands up and heads towards the door.

"Alright. I will leave you in the library in peace," Christine replied.

"Thank you," Raoul said with a smile on his face. He opens the door. "I love you," Christine said quickly. Raoul pops his head through the door and responds, "I love you too my little lotte." He leaves and closes the door. She looks away, sighs and sits down. She covers her face and softly asks herself, "Why do I keep lying to him? How did I forget about the engagement party?"