iv

Leaves crunched under Luca's combat boots as she walked through the Forbidden Forest in search for some much needed alone time. A light from her wand illuminated the dark pathway. Occasionally there would be flashes of green as unsuspecting mosquitoes met their untimely fate.

"Avada Kedavra!" Luca huffed in irritation as she blasted another one. "Nasty bloodsuckers. You're not vampires, you pathetic wannabes."

"Murdering innocent bugs again, eh, Lestrange?"

"Stay back!" Luca whirled around to face Santana, her wand outstretched. "Don't make me use this, Sanchez. I'm not in the mood for company."

"You're not supposed to be out here." Santana crossed her arms and raised a brow at Slytherin's prefect.

The curly-haired girl widened her eyes in faux shock. She slapped a mosquito when she felt it on her leg, never once breaking eye contact with Ravenclaw's head girl. "Well spotted, genius." Luca's lip curled, and she lowered her wand to her side. "Although, you're not supposed to be out here, either, so you can't report me without ratting yourself out, too."

She turned and walked away, stomping on a spider as she ventured deeper into the forest. She gritted her teeth in irritation when she heard footsteps following her. "What part about 'I'm not in the mood for company' did you not understand, Halfy?"

Santana rolled her eyes at the nickname. Luca was always reminding her that she was nothing more than a 'filthy half-blood' with a 'pathetic Muggle for a father'. "Because Lucatic, it's dangerous out here, and you need to come back to the castle with me before you get yourself hurt."

Luca chuckled bitterly. "How pathetic. You think I need protecting." She spun around to face the taller girl. "It's ironic, don't you think, Sanchez? I'm the one who inflicts the suffering on others. Not the other way around."

"What are you even doing out here, anyway?" Santana asked, sighing as she followed Luca. "It's bad luck to kill a unicorn if that's what you're up to, psycho."

"I don't waste my time killing unicorns." Luca put her hand into the pocket of her robe and wrapped her hand around the bag of food she'd brought for the magical creatures that lived in the forest. Despite what her peers thought, she'd never killed anything bigger than her cat. In fact, she cared deeply about the unicorns, thestrals, hippogriffs, and centaurs that lived in the Dark Forest.

Of course, she'd never admit it out loud, and she refused to show Santana her hidden soft spot for the magical creatures.

"So, are you just gonna keep using unforgivable curses on mosquitoes or something?"

"Not exactly." Luca smirked and pointed her wand at a small snake slithering in the grass. "Imperio." She directed it in the direction of Santana, laughing in amusement as the older girl screamed and tried to get away from it. "Don't tell me you're afraid of this harmless little garter snake, Sanchez?"

"Stop it, Lestrange!" Santana cried, yelping in fear when Luca pretended like she was going to launch the snake onto her. "It's not funny!"

"He just wants to give you a little kiss!" Luca teased, smirking devilishly. "Pucker up, wuss puss."

Santana whined as the snake's tongue came out of his mouth. She tumbled backwards when she bumped into a fallen tree branch, scared tears filling her eyes. "Lucatrix, stop! I'm begging you, please!"

"Not even one little kiss?" Luca's smirk widened at Santana's fear. She moved the snake closer to her, stopping when it was just mere centimeters from her nose. "It's not like he's gonna..." She launched the snake forward, laughing when Santana jerked her head back, tears falling down her tan cheeks, "bite you."

"Please," Santana whispered, terrified mocha orbs meeting Luca's wicked ones. She was clearly enjoying this.

Luca lowered her wand, dropping the garter snake onto Santana's chest. The Latina screamed and threw him off of her, stumbling as she stood up. "You're pathetic." Luca scoffed.

"You're cruel!" Santana yelled, throwing a hand out to the snake, which was now slithering away.

"He's completely harmless, you big baby," Luca muttered, rolling her eyes. She took the bag of food out of her pocket and dumped the contents into a neat pile at the base of a large oak tree.

"What are you doing now?" Santana asked, anxiety still in her voice. "Are you trying to poison the creatures that live here?"

"Yup, sure am," Luca replied with a hint of sarcasm. "Cause I'm Lucatrix Lestrange, and I have a psychopathic need to kill everything I see."

Santana watched the Slytherin curiously as she began walking back to the school. She looked at the pile of dinner scrapts before following. "You care about them, don't you?" she queried, her voice softening. "The animals."

Luca shrugged. "Maybe."

"Maybe," Santana repeated, humming softly. She stopped walking, watching as Luca's wild curls blew gently in the wind, her silhouette getting smaller with every step closer to Hogwarts. "Maybe she has a soul after all."

─── ⋆⋅☾⋅⋆ ──

─── ⋆⋅☾⋅⋆ ──

a/n

can't you tell that luca is bella's daughter with the way she was practically torturing santana with that snake? 😂

but there are some ways that she's not her mother's daughter. bellatrix probably would've made the snake bite her, and then she'd kill it

thoughts?