14 | backstage

present

THE LAST MODEL completed her walk and strutted back, joining the models who gathered in a line and posed with the clothing on them.

It was simple clothing - skirts, pants, shirts - that already exist but made more practical and designed more beautifully. Extra features were added in all of them.

The crowd of onlookers had on them a blank expression, making it impossible for anyone to get a read on them.

At the end, music came to slow close. A man with styled grey hair and fashionable suit walked on the stage, to the tune of applause.

"Thank you. Thank you. It's a wonderful show organized by my apprentice, Maya Raviker." On cue, Maya walked the ramp to join him, with a wide smile on her face.

"Thank you for attending the show and viewing the winter 23/24 collection."

After a few more words of praise, he bowed along with Maya and walked off stage. The crowd began to slowly filter out of the venue.

Maya's mask fell off. Her tired, weary expression finally appeared on display. The grey haired man turned to her.

"It was not a bad show but I expected more, Maya."

Maya watched him, not responding.

"Let Jina handle the upcoming shows. You should take some rest and...just take a break." 

It quite simply meant her job was now on unstable rocks, ready to jump off the cliff and fall into the abyss of unemployment anytime soon.

Maya didn't have a flair for the flamboyancy and extravagance her company was known for. The crowds that gathered to view each season's collections from her company only came for the show of luxurious and ornate clothes. Not her version of practical clothes and simplicity, paired with beauty.

Maya blinked and turned her eyes away, unable to withstand the bright light, shining in all directions. It was being removed.

"Alright." She responded, in a small voice.

Her mentor and boss patted her shoulder and walked away, calling out 'Jina!'

Maya's assistant walked over to her.

"Your collection was good, Maya."

Maya smiled at her, a weary, exhausted smile.

"It's what the girls would actually buy. Not the flamboyant wings and what not this company does. No one buys any of that."

"Yeah." Maya let out a tired breath, dropping into a nearby chair. Her black satin dress hiked up, along her ankle and the strands of hair bun had begun dropping out, collecting along the side of her face.

"But isn't that what fashion shows display these days? Not practical fashion, they display the ones that look like they came straight out of a circus."

Her assistant laughed. Then, her countenance grew serious. "If you quit, I'm joining you."

Maya gazed at her, her eyes displaying a complicated expression. 

"I really will, I'm not kidding. I cannot work under that pretentious Jina. Absolutely not. Plus, I like your style of clothes. It's ones that I myself would wear, if I could afford it."

Maya smiled. "I can always make something for you. It's you who refuses."

"I want to buy it with my own money."