Chapter 12 :: Mathilde Wairen

It always feels weird when Arizona disappears like that — in a flash of light and gone to another world. The Otherworld. I wonder what that place is like. Maybe better than this world where the sun still shines. Yet, I've brought the sun back somehow. It only shines at the mountains for now, but I suppose it's a start.

Lyne and I venture down this dirt road called Vienne's Pass. I'm not sure why it's called that or who this Vienne person is, but it's a road wide enough for a magitech all-terrain transport unit to stroll through it. The road feels wet and muddy, but there's no rain. Remnants of tank treads and magitech walker foot prints engrave their marks on the road. Yet, despite the technology, the Laguna Waterscape rain forest remains. Verdent green foliage and vines decorate every illum of this great space while strange plant-like creatures roam about.

If I recall, the VIIIth Legion values the environment, including the trees and the creatures that live within the forest. They're not the type of legion who will chop down every living tree around just to empower the army. I wish I was part of the VIIIth Legion instead of the VIth Legion. It looks so beautiful here. In comparison, the surroundings around Castrum Tormenti Spiculum always look desolate and wasted compared to Castrum Hortus Tempore's general location.

It's a long walk. Halfway down the road, a sudden explosion blasts from a distance. Glancing above, I see a shower of meteors raining down.

"Bloody hells! Mathilde, do you see that?" Lyne points at the shower of burning rocks.

"I do," I say. "It's heading toward the capital city."

Something doesn't feel right. If Svyataya Reka is under attack by Nightmares, then we'll never make it there in time. It would take us eight hours to get there on foot. Instead, we pick up the pace and bee-line our way to Castrum Hortus Tempore. I hope they have a transport unit ready to board.

—————

We arrive at Castrum Hortus Tempore, the home of the VIIIth Imperial Legion of the Figarosa Army. Vines and foliage decorate the white, tall, metal walls that enclose the vicinity.

Two guards stand by at the gate, both of them in uniform comprising black and red armor, a metal helmet, gas mask, and a magitech rifle on their backs.

"Identify yourself," one guard says.

I would have expected this soldier to identify me by my uniform — except I'm not wearing my uniform. I almost forgot I'm wearing something new. Some kind of lightbringer's outfit, I guess. I say with an imperial salute, "I am Tribune Angusticlavius Mathilde sae Wairen of the VIth Imperial Legion."

The guards salute back and one responds, "My apologies. We didn't recognize your uniform."

The other guard asks, "Is the Archaean soldier with you?"

"She's not our enemy," I say, motioning my hand to Lyne. "Instead, she's a valuable asset we have in combating the Nightmares."

The guard taps their ear and radios. "Headmaster, there is a woman who claims to be part of the VIth Legion. She goes by the name of Mathilde sae Wairen. An Archaean soldier accompanies her. Are you expecting visitors?"

Both guards face each other, awaiting an answer. A few seconds later, they wave a hand. "Come right in. An escort will lead you to the Headmaster's Office. There, you will meet Legionnaire Hanji's assistant, Cidolfus olm Meteora."

I'm familiar with that name, but I've never met him in person before today. He's supposed to be a famous tinkerer and one who revolutionized the use of magitech within the Bektorias Empire and the Figarosa Imperial Army. I know writers have produced books about the man, so he has to be famous. Yet, I have to wonder why he's working for the VIIIth Legion, of all places.