Chapter 12

I lie on my bed, awake. Something keeps me awake. The awful feeling in my stomach, my overthrowing mind, doesn't make it any easier. I close my eyes and look at the ceiling. It's already dark outside. The moonlight shines through my windows. There is a breeze that plays with curtains letting them go up and down. I sit up and put on some clothes. I walk over to the door and try to open it as silent as possible.

I take a walk through the hallway. I hear my own footsteps echo through the space.

I go to the fence. It's just a bit over the edge of the Solara's temple. I grip it tightly. I feel angry at myself for letting my sister die like that. For letting in the enemy even when I don't want to. That stupid ruler of Frostholm. He even embarrassed me in front of his kingdom... and my own...

I punch the fence. It slightly wiggles, but it stands still again. It's surprisingly not painful for my hand. I keep punching it softly while I stare into the nothingness. It's like I'm lost in my own mind, not thinking and too much thinking at the same time. Suddenly, a hand grabs mine, stopping me from punching the fence.

"Stop."

I look at the hand that holds mine. It's scarred and a bit rough. I look over next to me. "Amun..." The slave's name rolls of my tongue. I haven't seen him the last few days. Too busy with all that happened.

It's quiet yet peaceful between us. Amun, let's go off my hand. My knuckles are colored in a shade of red. "Sorry... did I wake you up?" I ask. Amun shakes his head. "You didn't." I nod my head.

"Good."

It's silent again but not awkward. I look up to see the moon shining brightly. I can still feel Amun's eyes on me. It's always hard to say what he thinks. "I've seen your nephew train..."starts Amun. "He is quite good with a bow."
"And with a sword?", I ask. Amun shrugs. "It isn't... bad."

"I used to like sword fighting", I tell and smile softly. Memories start coming back.

"There used to be a prince in our castle, a second born..." Amun's eyes doesn't leave me while I still look up at the moon. "His parents wanted to find a princess for him to marry when he was older. They had got their eye on my sister since she was the first born and girls couldn't rule." I pauses for a minute, taking deep breath. Memories of a young, kind brunette boy are floating in. A beautiful smile and a gentle character.

"They stayed with us for a week, hoping to get their approval by him. At that time I was still locked up in my room. And..." Amun places his hand on my shoulder when I don't continue. He waits patiently, like he has all the time in the world.

"I think it was... his second or third day... that he was with us. He knocked on my door room. I thought it was Valarian so I opened it but... it was him, that boy. It seemed like my sister had to perform royal duties so he was alone. Besides Valarian and my sister, he was the only really other human being I saw."
"You were locked up in there... for years?", Amun asks and I nod my head. "Since it was known that my 'gift' was death, the village started to hate me, they were scared of me. That's why my parents locked me up for years in my room", I explain. "But anyway... we grew close, that young prince and me. We would fight with swords together, he gave some hints and tricks. But when the end of the week came near he convinced me to go out of my room against my parents wishes. And I did... when they said goodbye and he needed to decide to marry my sister or not  when he was old enough, I came in. And do you know what he said?"

I turn to Amun who listens with intrest and patient to my story. He shakes his head calmly. I smile, a small giggle automatically comes out of my mouth.

"He said he wanted to marry me instead of my sister."

Amuns eyes widen. There is a short silence before he replies. "I can't imagine that it ended well..."

"It didn't", I reply. "They said he couldn't since I'm a second born too. Then his parents took him with them and I've never saw him again."

I turn completely to Amun. "There are still times I think about him, miss him. That week was one of the best in my life. If he would now that I'm now on the throne, they would have let him."
Amun expression changes. "Everyone changes, he probably did too. Who knows what he is now", he says. I'm a bit surprised by his soft yet annoyed tone, but he's right.

"Yeah... who knows?"
"You didn't get his name by any chance?", he asks. I shake my head. "We used nicknames, he always called me 'warrior', and he was 'knight'."
"Hm..." Amun turns back to the horizon, and looks at the part where our 'guest' sleeps. He let's out a low chuckle, which catches my attention. "Seems like your guest isn't planning on sleeping tonight."

I also look at the direction of the quarters. In the shadow of the moon, is one of Frostholm's guards sneaking around going to the direction where I have my prisinor...