Chapter 8

I sit next to Raheem, who takes care of the cuts on my arm. He looks carefully at them and is very gentle like I'm made of glass.

"Prince Volorius has the most guarded room, my queen," says Valarian. I nod slowly, not really sure how to think of the situation. "I'll pay him a visit later."

There is a sudden sting in my arm, and I flinch as I automatically look at Raheem. "Sorry..." he says in a genuine tone. "... it could hurt a little."
"Auntie [name]!" Kemet runs into the room. "Is it true they attacked you? Are they the ones who killed Mama?"he asks as his puppy eyes stare at me. Valarian looks at the boy but doesn't say a word.

Suddenly, two other guards come into the room as well. "Sorry, he wasn't supposed to get in," says one of them. "He is the prince, isn't he? Why isn't he supposed to get in?"I ask confused. The guards just share a short glance and excuse themselves. Kemet tugs on my sleeve. "What happened to your arm?"
"It's true. Be sure to be with a guard, okay? I don't want you to get hurt, "I say, confirming the rumors. Raheem glances shortly at the boy before he concentrates again.
"Are they the same ones who killed Mama?"
"Probably, but don't worry. Auntie [name] and her guard are going to take care of it. " I smile. Out the cornor of my eye, I see Valarian smile a bit as well. "All done," says Raheem, and he takes away the bandages. "Thanks."
Raheem gives me a warm smile before he leaves.
.

.

.
Just a few hours later, I walked up to the room where they said the prince would be. I knock on the door, but there is no answer.

I open the door, revealing a large but beautiful room. The sunlight shines through the open space. There is a large balcony. On the right is a king-sized bed and other things to decorate the room.

I step in and close the door behind me, I look at the bed and the balcony, but he is nowhere to be found, and in this room doesn't have blind spots.

Has he escaped?

"Ah!" Suddenly, somoene jumps on my back, pushing me to the ground. On top of me lands the prince with a knife in his hand. The weight of his body pushes on mine, making sure I can't escape.

"I should've expected this," I think out loud. "Have you had any idea what it's it like to be different!?" He yells at me, still holding the knife at my throat. "That you're pushed away, that everyone hates you just because you're born with something you can't choose!" He yells, frustrated.

"Yes, I do!"I say. "Liar!"he shouts back. "No, I'm not! My own people hated me because I was born with the gift of death. They had to hide me in the castle because they wanted to burn me down!"

A silence fills the room, I can only hear my fast beating heart, and my rapid breath in the ice cold silence that floats in the room. I dare to open my eyes again, not even realizing I closed them. The prince breathes rapidly as well, and his hand shakes as he holds the knife. The look in his eyes is unreadable.

The silence is interrupted by the sound of the knife falling to the ground. Between my breathes, I let out a sigh of relief.

"People bullied me through my entire life..." Prince Volorius says calmly. He doesn't look me in the eyes, and the look on his face, showing he is still hurted by it. "... they called me a freak... because of my eye color. Not even my own brother liked me..."

He relaxes more as he says it. I look up to him. "That's... painfull, " I say. "But I would appreciate it if you would go off me. It's a bit awkward." The prince looks at me first confused, but then realization hits him. After a few moments of silence, he replies. "No..."
"Excuse me?"
"I said no."

His look becomes cold again as he glares at me, still lying on top of me. "Why not?" I ask a little confused.
"I'm not sure..."

The prince seems out of it. A part of me pities him. I look at his green eyes.

I could convince him to let me go.

"I always liked your eyes. They're gorgeous, "I compliment him. "Really?" He says. "Yes." I nod my head, and his expression changes once again. It is clear that he is struggling with what to do.

"Nobody ever said that," he says. Then he smirks with a deep chuckle. I can't help but my heart skip a beat as I hear the warmth of his voice. It sounds dominant yet sweet at the same time. "I see what you're doing, princess."
"I'm already crowned as queen, actually."
"I wasn't referring to your title," he says with a flirty grin on his face. It takes me a second to realise at he meant and then an unwanted blush spreads my cheek.

"Are you blushing?" "Shut up."
Seeing the prince is off guard, I shove him off with one quick movement off me and I quickly stand up. "Don't give me nicknames, prince Volorius. Or you will loose more then just your freedom."
"Was that a threat?", he asks with still the same grin on his face. "Yes."
"Spoken like a real queen" he says.
I glare at him, annoyed at his statement.

"No matter which title you get, in my eyes you will still be my princess"
"You're challenging me..."
"No, I just spoke my thoughts", he says.

Before I can say something Kemet walks in.

"Is that your son?" Asks the prince. "No I'm his aunt. You killed his mother."

The grin on his face disappears, there is even a small look of regret on his face. "Auntie [name], mama's funeral begins over an hour."
"I'll be there soon, honey. Tell Aric I'll be coming soon." Kemet nods and goes away.

"I should go. Let's have this conversation another time."
"Wait!" Says Volorius. "Can I come too? To Elysia's funeral?"
"No. You stay here. You are still a prisoner", I tell him as I walk away, and could dare to say I saw a hint of sadness.
But is it for Elysia's death or...

Because he didn't get to spend time with me?