45 | rule 77

RULE 77: DO NOT SEVERELY  MAIM YOURSELF THROUGH INJURY.

✷  C  H  A  P  T  E  R     F  O  R  T  Y  -  F  I  V  E  

Guns pointed at us from all angles, closing in. The hunters had us surrounded, and they were slowly narrowing the distance between us, herding us to slaughter. They had waited for us to gain a false sense of security before they made their first move.

Without missing a beat, Hana advised, Malakai, you're going to need to get the pups out of here quick.

We're surrounded, he countered. I can try to find a gap, but I don't like our odds.

We'll create a diversion, Hana responded. But you'll be ready to take them?

Of course, the pack comes first, he agreed without hesitation.

While the hunters had us surrounded, there was still enough distance between us to gather our wits. The hunters had yet to fire off a shot, but they were not shy about aiming their guns at many of our heads. Some of the hunters, as they emerged into sight, had no weapons on their person.

Instead, their chest rose and fell in labored pants, their eyes tinged red, and many of their limbs twitched. I gulped, knowing I was unprepared to go head-to-head with these hunters.

My priority had been connecting with my wolf, not learning the ropes of self-defense and how to best take on a legion of hunters. Upon further inspection, as parents quickly unlatched their frightened pups from their backs, I noticed the hunters had not appeared how I first imagined.

I quickly glanced around as we were being caged in, but I did not take the time to study the faces and figures of those aiming to end my life. My breath was thick in the air, producing tiny plumes. Rowan protectively hovered over me, but even his presence did little to stop my erratic heartbeat.

The hunters, who had originally been thought of as well-chiseled, well-trained people, looked like ordinary people off the streets. Men and women were amongst their ranks, and many of them were around my age—if not younger.

How had they managed to sneak up on us? I wondered. Of course, the young faces ready to kill us could be a diversion. I wouldn't put it past the hunters, especially if they had been behind the onslaught of avalanches.

Rowan sniffed the air and then peered down at me. Something's not right.

I nodded my head, and Rowan pulled his gaze from mine, his chest puffed outward. Olive, I need to ask you to do something for me, okay?

Gulping, I asked, What?

I want you to go with Malakai.

What? My body froze. There's no way—

Olive, the hunters are closing in, and you haven't been trained in combat, he said, his voice hollow. I want you to go with Malakai.

I don't want to leave you—the pack—behind, I whined, realizing how pathetic my plea sounded. Rationally, I knew Rowan was right. I had not been trained, and I would be a liability with the hunters around, but I didn't want to leave Rowan.

It was selfish.

You would only drag down the rest of the pack, I told myself. I mean, isn't that what happened to Melody?