31 | what goes around...

SUMMER

Getting dressed in the backseat of my car, I have to wonder if Mrs. Villa was right about me. Sure, this wasn't sex with my date in the bushes, but is sex in a car with not my date any better? It's two sides of the same coin.

But I couldn't help myself, and Ashton's the one to blame. If he hadn't brought me to this road and taken me on that wild ride that got my blood pumping, this wouldn't have happened. It's like I could feel the need bloom inside me and it had to burst out. He was all I saw and he was all I wanted, and I don't regret it one bit. In a way, getting closure like that was actually cathartic.

I peek through the back window at him smoking outside. The only thing I regret is being reminded of how insanely god-like he is at sex, how beautiful he is, the primal power he exudes in every move he makes. And how he gets so thoughtful when it's over. So gentle.

I regret being reminded because now I have to forget all over again.

When I've zipped up my boots, I open the door and slide out, watching the burning tip of his cigarette brighten and fade. Even though he came clean, a small part of me still holds apprehension.

I know he told me the truth; I know I believe him, but it's like I can't help picturing myself walking into school on Monday and seeing him turn his back on me again. Breaking me. I guess it's going to take some time for those broken pieces to mend.

"Ash?"

He looks up from the ground, his mouth curving as a cloud of smoke flows out. "Hey."

"Hey." I rub at my arms to warm up. "What are you thinking about?"

"Nothing," he says simply, a grin erupting when I give him a look. "Seriously! Think you blew out my wires or something. You're like, very good at fucking, you know."

"Yeah? Back at cha." I laugh, but it quickly fizzles when my stomach lets out a squirmy growl.

"And I take it you're thinking about food," he quips, ashing his cigarette.

"After that? Duh." I hug my waist. "You're not hungry?

"Sure, but I'm not the one who had a fancy dinner date."

My eyes roll. "Like you can call that dinner. Have you ever been to Succulent? The potions are tiny. That's the biggest flaw in fine dining: everything's made for ants."

"You're meant to savor gourmet food," he drawls, cocking his head. "And you could have had popcorn at the movies."

I'd have to be deaf to miss the dash of resentment in his voice. "It was Grant's idea to go there, by the way. I wanted to go dancing with Lola and Steven, be he already planned the movie, so..."

Ashton puffs away, watching me for a lengthy moment before he swipes the cigarette between his fingers, pulling out his phone. "I've got about an hour until I'm usually home from work. You wanna grab a bite?"

My stomach practically growls my answer for me. "Mrs. Villa's going to be pissed anyway, so yeah, sounds good. Just as friends, though." I remind him. "Once we leave this road, we leave this behind."

He flicks the butt to the ground, grinding it out. "Well, all roads are technically connected, so will we ever really leave?"

"Fine." I smile. "Once we get in the car, we leave this behind."

"Once we get in the car, huh," he says quietly, more like he's talking to himself.

Then he strolls over the gravel and reaches for my face as soon as he gets to me, covering my mouth with his. He kisses me slow and deep, walking me backwards until I'm pressed against the car. The cold metal stings my back, and he tastes like fresh smoke, but I don't care. My palms flatten against his chest, feeling his heart thumping through the solidness.